moving from CA

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are most likely moving from CA to KY. Our daughter and son-in-law are in the army, we are looking to buy a big house (5-7 bdrs) and property for us all. We are looking in Christian county. I am wanting to know a few things about the area.

Are there construction industry jobs there?

Are the middle schools good? How about the elementary schools?

Is there a limit on dogs?

How long is the typical growing season? What things DON'T grow there?

Is stargazing good there? We are ametuer astronomers.

Are there any civil war reenacting artilery units around?

What are the shooting ranges like? Are there any long-range competitions?

Is there any off-road vehicle areas (dirt bikes & jeeps)?

Thanks for any help

Monica

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D We moved from CA to Nebraska 3 years ago.

From a huge city to a tiny little one horse town - its awesome! :lol: (oh and the horse is mine!) :gig

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I second checking the city-data forums. It was pretty useful before I came here.

Only thing I'd say is that, there's a big city about an hour from here. The forum was largly populated with young professionals, many of whom had been transferred here from other places. They tend to have good info about schools and local things to do, but I found myself being VERY different from them in many areas so many of my questions went unanswered and a few got me mildly ridiculed. We just were not on the same page.

I might have thought from that experience that I'd stick out like a sore thumb in this part of the country, but I have found MANY likemonded folks out here in the country. There just didn't seem to be any of them in those forums.

Other places might not hold true for that. Just thought I'd toss it out there for encouragement, in case you do run into the same situation. :)

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the info-Thoses websites are awesome! Just what we have been looking for. I will join the forum next week.

We are mountain/country people, it seems like that it's the same type of people there also.

Our daughter is already in contact with realtors.

Monica

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I should have looked at this sooner. I have been stationed at Fort Campbell three times. I am now retired from the Army. I live not far from there now.

cknmom said:
We are most likely moving from CA to KY. Our daughter and son-in-law are in the army, we are looking to buy a big house (5-7 bdrs) and property for us all. We are looking in Christian county. I am wanting to know a few things about the area.

Are there construction industry jobs there?

Don't know for sure but probably. The last time I was down that way I saw lots of new housing.

Are the middle schools good? How about the elementary schools?

More familiar with the Tennessee schools. They were OK back in 1999.

Is there a limit on dogs? Don't know.

How long is the typical growing season? What things DON'T grow there?

Check out growing zones. It gets hot and humid in the summer. It can get cold in the winter. Subzero happens but is not common. Not a lot of snow. It is also in the ice storm belt. Kind of making a guess here since I haven't paid a lot of attention to the calendar. You can probably expect to garden from April or when the soil dries out enough until October. Once again, check a website for growing zones. What doesn't grow there? I can't think of anything that you would want to eat that doesn't grow there. Well, maybe tropical crops like bananas but you could do a greenhouse. People do grow banana plants outside for ornamentals.

Is stargazing good there? We are ametuer astronomers.

If you get away from light pollution. Winter would be better because of the summer humidity.

Are there any civil war reenacting artilery units around? I don't know about artillery units but I'm sure there are reenactors in the area.

I'm retired field artillery by the way.

What are the shooting ranges like? Are there any long-range competitions?

There was an off duty range on the post. Competition, probably. I have a friend that has a place in Tennessee and teaches a variety of firearms courses.

http://rattlesnakeridge.org/index.html

Is there any off-road vehicle areas (dirt bikes & jeeps)?

I think there is a place at Land Between the Lakes.

http://www.lbl.org/

Thanks for any help

Monica
Hope that helped you a little.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dacjohns- Thanks so very much for the info. We are thinking about the hopkinsville area so we will be close to LBL. Now I also know about the hunting-great!

I will have my husband check out your friends range-looks cool to me. What a beautiful area to shoot in.

We are looking forward to moving, hopefully in the next couple of months. All depends on how fast we can get a home.

Our daughter has an appointment with a realtor on Mon. Hopefully we can get the place we all want.:fl

Monica

Latest posts