Moving - Rant

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:barnie

Well, hubby and I just found out that his job is transferring him, and we're going to have to move a few hours south to central Arkansas. Not the end of the world I guess, but we've worked so hard to be as SS as possible here on our 20 acres in what we think of as paradise, in the area we both grew up in.

The thought of selling our place and finding another house (in a more expensive market) with any amount of land (which is also more expensive), and moving the whole kit-and-kaboodle to unknown territory is just downright daunting at this point. But, his job is just too good to leave, especially when jobs are kind of scarce.

When I think of all the work I've done that I'll probably have to do all over again - building raised garden beds, fencing, flower beds, wildlife food plots...arg...I just want to puke.:hit

I guess I'm just being a big baby and need to look at the bright side. It's just kind of hard to see one right now and I needed to cry on some shoulders that would understand. When you work so hard to mold something into a vision, it really becomes part of you.

Thanks for listening. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh Plucky, I feel your pain.

We recently had to move and I was quite depressed about it for a while, but it has all worked out just fine. We are in a rental which is hard...may garden is gone and I am not about to start the back breaking process of digging a new one here...so I will just do simple raised beds. I also ended up with nicer (much less nosy!) neighbors and a bigger lot.

One thing I can tell you about a move...it does give you a clean slate to work from. Maybe there are things that you will be able to do differently which will end up being better.

hang in there and have faith...things always happen for a reason :hugs

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:hugs That sucks for sure! The part that probably feels the worst is feeling like you have no choice in the matter because your DH needs a job.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, so sad! I would love to move, but on my terms, to a better spot off the main road. I would HATE being forced! And in winter! It can take months to find the right place. Keep us posted. Hopefully, someone wanting to be SS will buy your place and keep up all your hard work. And you will find just the right place with even better soil and lots of sun and shade and good things.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Although our roots here don't go as deep as yours we found out that our landlord filed bankruptcy so our home will be auctioned off in April. Our lease wasn't up until August and we were planning to go month to month until the fall. Now we will miss the early planting season wherever we move to. We've sold all of our chickens now so all that's left of our little dream is our pooch and a few cats. My favorite part is having to move 2300 miles with three kids while 8 months pregnant!

On the bright side, we're planning to move closer to my family into a much warmer climate and the job market is better there than it is here. Although it's a PITA to have to start over again, at least we'll have a better support network and better climate for everything we want to do.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this, I can imagine how devastating it is with your situation.

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words and encouragement...it's just what I needed!

I'm feeling a bit more positive about it after the initial shock - it could definately be worse. I do hate to leave the area, even more than I hate leaving this home. However, it is kind of an adventure, too. And we DO have several months...hubby doesn't start until June 1st. He's full-time National Guard, and he can live cheaply on base while I hold down the fort if we haven't sold or found a place by then.

At first I wasn't going to plant a garden, but I think I'm going to now, just on a smaller scale since we don't know when we'll find a buyer. If nothing else, the sight of some nice fat cucumbers may entice someone into purchasing! ;)

And you're right, Dace - there are some things I'll be looking for in a new place, and the idea of a clean slate is kind of an exciting prospect even though I'm going to miss this place dearly.

Anyway, thanks all for helping me keep a positive attitude!
:love

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Plucky....is there any way that hubby could just travel to his job, and stay there all week then travel back home for the weekends?
I would HATE to think about moving..... The thought of having to give up all the hard work that we have put into this place,would make me think outside the box for another alternative. $.02

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We BRIEFLY discussed that option, but not for a permanent solution. If his new assignment were only for a couple of years we'd consider keeping the place, but this move will be until he retires - another 13 years for the military retirement. (This assignment was *supposed* to be permanent, but the Nat. Guard budget got slashed).

I know some couples can do it, but I don't want to risk damaging our marriage for the sake of a house and piece of land, no matter how much work we've put into it. We're also trying to start a family - makes it tough to do if you're not in the same vicinity.
;)

I AM already heartsick about the chicken coop (a.k.a. The Hen Hilton, The Coup de Gras, or Eggopolis)...

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I feel for you too- you really have so few options.
I was raised in a military family that moved all the time. It got to be a habit not to spend any real effort on anything permanent as it would only have to be left behind. Took me years to learn to judge differently and even now I find myself evaluating something in terms of how long I will be here to use it. It's just that "here" has sort of changed meaning. :rolleyes:

Does your employer offer any subsidy for the loss it will cause you to leave your place? Or anything to make up for the effort and money you put into it that you will not be able to recoup?

If your place is really perfect, could you rent it out? Or do you think you might be able to find something better later?

The only thing I can offer is something that was at least a small comfort to me when I left the first place I ever spent time developing- I built that barn and now know how to do it better- I planted those trees in the wrong spot and will not make the same mistake, etc.

I know it's cold comfort to think that your knowledge all your hard works taught you comes with you, but it will help later.

But darn it all anyway................

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We really didn't forsee the move at all, or else we wouldn't have put in so much work...the budget cuts really changed things. Even though he's military, being full-time Nat. Guard isn't usually quite so unpredictable...it's kind of the best of both worlds.

But I guess that's just life. I do think we'll be able to find something, maybe not quite as much land. But there are plenty of people on here who really impress me with how SS you can be in such a small space. We do hunt for a lot of our food, but we have family and friends with large farms and hunting land in case we can't find good hunting acerage. Plus, the army base allows bow hunting.

Renting the place out IS a possible option, if we found the right people.

Anyone? :p