moving to the country

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After a decade on a 1/3-acre city lot, we're finally moving out into the country. After reading about many of you enjoying the country or making plans to move out of the city, I finally have the pleasure of moving my own family out there.

The lot is 4.75 acres and the soil is deep silt clay loam. It's class 2e, prone to water and wind errosion. For now, I'll plant most of the yard with wildflowers and prairie, complete with a bee hive in the corner. I think 1/4 acre will be a large enough garden to feed the family, at least for vegetables. I'm aiming for small enough to keep under control but large enough to justify using my tractor (1954 Ford NAA) to prepare the soil. I'll probably raise a couple of hogs next summer, too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
congrats.

your own pork is the way to go! delish!

hope all goes well for you!!!!

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, congrats! I'm so envious! Hope you keep us up to date on all the goings on :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
YaaaHooo! I'm happy for you. You're gonna love it. 4.75 acres is plenty of land if you plan ahead. Where is the place? Pictures, pictures, pictures - we need pictures!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!

wind and rain errosion means stick to smaller livestock but otherwise as long as you keep it in grass/prarie you should do great :) ill bet your super excited!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2611_house.png

Ours is the lot with the big pool.

There was a discussion a while back on how much land is needed per person to be SS. Does anyone remember the number that we came up with? Someone at the office was saying 5 acres/person.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There's a lot of variables. Depends on what you like to eat, the growing season, what your soil is like, etc.

Latest posts