MsPonys chick place-hoof oil recipes?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now that I have more time I *really* need to start writing everything down!

Current: Living with fiance (Chris) with a small backyard flock, 2 house rabbits, 1 outdoor bunny and a compost bin. Of course there are other animals, I work in a pet store, but they aren't important here. Chris has a garden, an assortment of things like tobacco and flowers, plus some other...stuff.

The ladies consist of two adult brahmas, black langshan, cuckoo maran, blue wynadotte, two baby brahmas born mid march, banter brahma and a mexican fighting hen who stands maybe one foot tall and is the leader.

Goals:
Go back to school for ornithology? Wildlife biology? Chicken science? I want to evenually own and operate a large ranch with chickens, ducks, geese, goats, sheep and cattle. Chris wants to run a large training and showing equestrian barn which I fully support him on.
- just to make my life easier this phone has voice capabilities so I don't have to type yeah!!!-
Before then I want to work on rehabilitating wild animals in africa, I mean how much fun would it be to play with baby elephants all day? Im working on my CWR and all that right now :) .
Im a bit of a free spirit, which makes me wonder how I ended up with someone who doesn't like to even move 3 streets over LOL. I do and go where I please, I hate sitting still in one place for too long. I've worked the same job for two years and this november illl have been with chris for 3 years...that's a miracle for me.

So anyways this blog will about my trials and tribulations with the chickens and my journey towards being a baby elephant rehabilitator.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Didn't do much with chickens this AM, other then take broody hen off her nest and stick her in the sun pen. She's in there in the mornings while the ladies lay eggs, then she is let out and the coop door is closed. I really need to set up a crate and stick chicks under her. Has anyone used just a dog crate? I'm talking about closed airport friendly kind. I'd need to shield it from wind/rain, tarp it? She refuses to eat when she goes broody like this. Ugh.

Otherwise I'm camping this weekend for my birthday, the big 2-1...which ill spend partying it up w/ my dog, in the tent bed, reading the dog book by the monks of New Skete. I'm super exciting. But tomorrow were taking the fishing boat out for fishing!!! Maybe my dog will get raw fish for dinner :D

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok so I have this awesome hoof conditioner, but the company was sold and im down to two tins. The ingredients are:
equisetum & comfrey infused apricot kernel oil
Beeswax
castor oil
Rosehip oil
Wheat germ oil
Lavender & rosemary essential oil

I was thinking of a beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba oil mix w/ essential oils. What about lanolin? The point is a nice hard hoof that doesn't crack, which Swinger has major cracks and issues right now. I also use it on his belly since he has midline dermatitis and any extra on my hands gets ran through his mane and tail.

Thoughts? I don't even know how to make it.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I would think the texture would be the hard part to get- do you want a cream type like Hoofmaker or a paint on oil type like regular hoof oil? The Hoofmaker type may take some experimenting to get the right ratio of waxes to oils.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
More like hoofmaker :) I have fiebrings oil to paint on, I need more of a conditioner?

Coconut oil hardens, what about shea/jojoba?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Coconut oil melts in the summer heat- even around here! (I found that out the hard way with my soaping oils last summer). I think you'd need to add beeswax to make the texture you want that won't melt into glop. I think WZ knows how to make lotions- I've been thinking about trying it- and I don't think it would be too different from a lotion or cream texture.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Ok so I have this awesome hoof conditioner, but the company was sold and im down to two tins. The ingredients are:
equisetum & comfrey infused apricot kernel oil
Beeswax
castor oil
Rosehip oil
Wheat germ oil
Lavender & rosemary essential oil

I was thinking of a beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba oil mix w/ essential oils. What about lanolin? The point is a nice hard hoof that doesn't crack, which Swinger has major cracks and issues right now. I also use it on his belly since he has midline dermatitis and any extra on my hands gets ran through his mane and tail.

Thoughts? I don't even know how to make it.
My horse who had cracks, is healing and the cracks are not going up since i started using a barefoot trimmer. My thoughts are the cracks can be healed with a proper trim and diet to make his hoof walls stronger. do you give them free choice loose minerals? What does his trim look like?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
There are so many better things to do with bacon grease! The old horseman who taught me when I was growing up used old engine oil :sick The horses survived... anything you come up with would be an improvement over that!