Mucous build-up?

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Both hubby and I are suffering from the thick junk in the throat that is impossible to swallow and won't easily be coughed up. It's making for some poor sleep and aching heads. I have access to a lot of herbs and just would like advice on what others do to cut this crud.

Thanks!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If its green, it is from your sinuses. Neti pots to flush out your sinuses are a great tool, as is inhaling steam infused with eucalyptus EO. Breathe deeply but be careful not to burn yourselves

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Not a natural remedy, but over the counter- Mucinex. Guaifenesin extended release. You can take up to 1200mg twice a day if you need heavy guns. We used it in the hospital for bedridden patients to prevent pneumonia.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Nice video freemotion! I have not tried using scallions for that purpose. Do you think regular onions would work as well or is there a reason you selected the scallions themselves?

I know people who swear by the neti pot, but I had thought I'd heard that they flush away the good bacteria also which may set you up for more infections. Have you heard anything on this and if so, what would your response be?

Definitely going to give the eucalyptus essential oil a try tonight! I'd read that a drop of peppermint oil beneath the nose will do a similar job, but in my excitement to find a cure, didn't read further where it added that sensitive skin might require the oil to be mixed with vegetable to oil to avoid irritating the skin. Ouch. That stuff doesn't rub off well. On to a better plan! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
kristenm1975 said:
Thanks for the responses! Nice video freemotion! I have not tried using scallions for that purpose. Do you think regular onions would work as well or is there a reason you selected the scallions themselves?
Scallion roots are the key. Got this from an acupuncturist from China. It really works and it quite good, surprisingly so.

I know people who swear by the neti pot, but I had thought I'd heard that they flush away the good bacteria also which may set you up for more infections. Have you heard anything on this and if so, what would your response be?
I have not heard this nor has it been my experience. I don't see how saline could flush away good bacteria unless one becomes OCD with the neti pot, using it an unreasonable number of times. It gets the mucous out and rinses out irritants like pollen.

You can also do an old-fashioned steaming, by putting boiling water in a bowl with some ACV and the essential oils you mentioned. There are others that work nicely, too, like rosemary and lavender. Use a dish towel to capture the steam and breath it in, being careful not to burn yourself in the first breath....have a tea pot of boiling water nearby to replenish the water and keep the steam going a bit longer. Only add the essential oils as you are about to take your first breath of steam, as they dissipate very quickly with the steam.

Have lots of tissue nearby because you will need to blow!

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That sounds wonderful freemotion! I know what I'm doing after work tonight! I love drug-free remedies that work.