multi-purpose cleaner or countertop cleaner/disinfector

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love love love the Windex multiuse cleaner spray and use it for everything, but it's starting to look really expensive now that I'm making my own laundry detergent and all ;)

I tried diluting bleach into a squirt bottle but that just doesn't leave the countertops as nice looking as I like...not to mention the smell on my hands gets annoying.

What can I make out of household stuff like bleach, vinegar or something else I have that I don't think about that will clean my stuff? I use it for the countertops, stove, chairs, tables, some furniture, etc...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp borax
1 tsp baking soda
to tsp tea trea oil (WalMart sells a 2 ounce bottle for $8!)
to tsp liquid soap

This is the one we are using, and it works incredibly well. Even cuts grease.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is the warm water just to dissolve the borax and baking soda? or do I need to heat up the solution every time I want to use it?

'Cause I use the other stuff on a daily basis...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Is the warm water just to dissolve the borax and baking soda? or do I need to heat up the solution every time I want to use it?

'Cause I use the other stuff on a daily basis...
You won't need to heat it up to use it. It's just to help dissolve the borax and soda.

I gotta get me some tea tree oil. Never have used the stuff. I have to admit that I just bought a jug of Simple Green concentrate. You can use that for all kinds of stuff. Most of the time I aim for vinegar, baking soda, bleach water, etc, though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You can also just use washing soda in place of the baking soda and borax.

Marianne, Tea tree oil is the best stuff. We use for a variety of things.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
This is next on my list to make :) Still a ways to go before I run out of laundry soap and get to make my own...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My favourite all purpose cleaner is vinegar and water mixed equally-- I use it on windows, my glass tables, bathrooms every where. If i need extra scrubbing power, i sprinkle some bking soda to scour with (for bathtubs etc.)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'm with miss_thenorth. For routine cleaning and/or if you don't have really hard water, just soap and warm water works very well; for crusties and/or if you have water so hard it leaves a bit of a film on things, add some vinegar.

For some particular cleaning purposes, rubbing alcohol is also helpful.

Pat

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does vinegar leave that vinegar smell? I hate that...

I have found that warm water and soap leave a film at my house, so I stopped using it a while back when I found the windex stuff.