Mushroom hunting! This is what it is all about! Pix!

mmtillman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I love mushroom hunting ! I live for it 2 weeks out of the year....this year I found the largest most beautiful morel I have ever found!!! Gotta brag!! It was huge.. I about fainted when I found it !!!!!
So, here are the pix!!

20693_dsc02998.jpg

20693_dsc03005.jpg

20693_dsc03007.jpg

20693_dsc03010.jpg

I am in South Mo. and they are about finished here.....or else everyone else is beating me to my secret spots!??

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh my goodness!!! Guess we will have to try our sweet spots here in central WI just in case. Nothing like going mushrooming just to find out you've hit the tail end!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just found out what a morel was!

I've never been mushroom hunting! It sounds like so much fun!

Maybe next year? I'll have to search for info in my area.

That is one huge mushroom!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh wow. I would LOVE to go mushroom hunting....but I am so scared I would get the poisonous ones. I asked a few people from around here, that go...but no one wants to "share the info" BRATTS!! LOL :rant

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Our season is JUST beginning here in Ohio. I plan on hitting a new area this Sunday, as well as a few old favorites. Wish me luck!!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't be afraid justasnak! Get a good guide book, like the Audubon field guide, or "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" by David Fisher, or "All that the rain promises and more.." by David Aurora. There are also guides that are specifically for your area that you might be able to find.

OH yeah-- and mmtillman, are you soaking those mushrooms?! Don't do that! You just leach out the flavors into the water. Brush them off with a pastry brush, and tap them on the counter to get the little bugs to jump out. I've tried that soaking in saltwater deal, and the bugs are still in there when you take them out of the water.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've heard that the Bessettes (co-author of "edible wild mush...") have come out with a new mushroom cookbook. I've not seen it yet. I like to compare several different books. There's a big fancy one with really NICE pictures called something like "The Ultimate Mushroom Book". It's British, but I think they made it for North Americans mainly. Has lots of recipes after the ID section, but they are fancy schmancy ones requiring a lot of sherry and saffron and stuff.