Mushroom season is here!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Its such a great way to enjoy nature, a beautiful day, time with my kids (or on occasion by myself or with a friend), and bring home shrooms too!
I so agree! It's actually what I request for Mother's Day every year--a few hours out in the woods with my husband and kids hunting for morels, or maybe a bike ride searching for asparagus.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
Hey Ticks-- Morels are really easy to identify, and the ones that are kinda similar are easy to distiguish as long as you use your eyes and brain. Morels are not really easy to find though, if you haven't tried it, but once you've got your mushroom goggles on you'll be seeing them everywhere.

SO DON'T FEAR!! There are lots of good guidebooks out there. If you can tell the difference between a pheasant and a chicken, you can identify a morel. ;)
I think I have been catching on through this site. They are the ones that are long, big, ummmm spongy? I remember we had Morels at our old hosue becasue my dad would pick some mushrooms and eat them. He is an outdoorsy guy and he is still alive so I'm pretty sure they weren't deadly mushrooms.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah ticks! Be adventurous! Here's somthing to remember if you get confused (which you won't): Morels are always hollow. They have a hollow stem and the top is hollow too. And the "brainy" or "spongy" part has actual divots or holes, not just kinda smooth with bumps. You can tell by the pictures.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
miss_thenorth said:
Its such a great way to enjoy nature, a beautiful day, time with my kids (or on occasion by myself or with a friend), and bring home shrooms too!
I so agree! It's actually what I request for Mother's Day every year--a few hours out in the woods with my husband and kids hunting for morels, or maybe a bike ride searching for asparagus.
never thought of that--My bday is Mothers day weekend--maybe I'll request that too. And everytime I'm out driving in the summer--I am spotting out where asparagus is growing, so I know where to go in the spring. i have a patch growing right across the road from our house, but I know of sooooo many other places to go and pick it. I still have some asparagus in the freeer fromour foraging last spring.

I went for a walk in the bush across the road from us, and things are just starting to come alive. Foraging for me will start in a coupla weeks. Can't wait, but I got enough things to keep me busy until then.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is it really that warm up in Ontario already? Our asparagus hasn't even started yet, and it usually doesn't hit til the end of morel season.

me&thegals

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
And everytime I'm out driving in the summer--I am spotting out where asparagus is growing, so I know where to go in the spring. i have a patch growing right across the road from our house, but I know of sooooo many other places to go and pick it. I still have some asparagus in the freeer fromour foraging last spring.
Ditto on both counts. Doesn't take long to memorize those spots, does it? I get obsessive, like thinking, "Okay--there's a huge patch 3 phone poles down from the bridge," or "directly across from so and so's huge pine tree" :D

Around here, people get a bit competitive and actually knock down and remove the foliage, so you have to memorize the spots. Hmmm.... maybe GPS. Nah. That would take the sportsmanship out of it :)

Gotta get some asparagus soup going so the freezer can be asparagus free. My garden patch is already producing its first shoots!

me&thegals

Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
Is it really that warm up in Ontario already? Our asparagus hasn't even started yet, and it usually doesn't hit til the end of morel season.
It has started in central WI already, at least in my garden. The wild stuff generally is a couple weeks later, I'm assuming because it's at a lower level than my garden and shaded by weeds.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
mrs.puff said:
It has started in central WI already, at least in my garden. The wild stuff generally is a couple weeks later, I'm assuming because it's at a lower level than my garden and shaded by weeds.
No, it has sprouted from the ground, but it won't be ready to pick until around Mother's Day.