Muskrats

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ugh... I have Muskrats in my pond. I know that I need to remove cattails to discourage them but I also have wood ducks and wild birds that use the cattails as well as keeping the pond healthy.
I have tried placing traps at the holes no luck getting them. They are digging in the dam I fill in the holes, they just make new holes and I think they have build tunnels in the dam. Where in the world did that song muskrat love come from??? I know I have no love for them they are just a big rat. Any suggestions?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry - no muskrats around here. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I do not know any trappers and not really sure how to find one. I will try using an apple, I will need to check to see if wood ducks would be tempted to eat them first. I really appreciate your response. They seem to be active at night or I would try to shoot it/them not sure how many there really are.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I do not know any trappers and not really sure how to find one. I will try using an apple, I will need to check to see if wood ducks would be tempted to eat them first. I really appreciate your response. They seem to be active at night or I would try to shoot it/them not sure how many there really are.

there should be some vids or info about methods on the web.

i've not had to trap them here yet but they have at times used a drainage ditch as a highway to get into the yard. i've since filled in the end of that drainage ditch so they (and the rest of the animals around here) can't run up it any more - was like a four lane highway! am working on filling in the rest of it now and next spring. leaving it open to the air will at least mean no more easy places for creatures to hide and use all winter. that has been such a PITA for so many years it makes me happy to see it like it is now even if it looks like a mess...

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you flowerbug and Bee, I have watched a few videos on youtube and this how I learned the appropriate traps to use. I like the idea of using gravel to line the dam to prevent further destruction. This may explain why I can't seem to find the hole they created, would never have thought they would start 10'-12' away from the dam, now I am wondering how much damage they have done to the pond itself. Interesting they use the drainage ditch as a highway and we do have a drainage ditch about 75+ ft from the Highway. Good grief nothing I can do about that lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting how different parts of the country have different problem animals. If we had a pond I would be on watch for an alligator.