musquitoes and musquito bites

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have now been overrun with mosquitoes and DD is getting a lot of mosquito bites. We have been using witch hazel to treat her, but it doesn't seem to be working. Does anybody else have any ideas? My dad swears by garlic keeping them at bay, but DD refuses to eat garlic.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My old German neighbor just forwarded me an e mail about using Listerine to ward off mosquitoes. She does everything ala natural.

Snopes says it's not true but I say it wouldn't hurt to try.

:idunno

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I eat garlic ALOT, I love it and eat a low sodium diet and it makes a great flavor booster, so I eat garlic about as much as a person can eat.

Mosquitos FEAST on me, they love me and always have.

I read somewhere that taking B vitamins makes your blood taste bad to mosquitos, but wouldn't they have to bite you first to taste your blood?

I've used Avon skin-so-soft as a deterrent but it isn't exactly a repellent. But it makes your skin feel nice and smells nice whereas I can't stand insect repellents!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Peppermint leaves. Take a few and rub them up and down your arms and legs. This works for us, and..we smell good! :) For the bites already had...make a paste of bakeing soda, and water, dab on each spot. Takes the itch out.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For soothing bug bites try calendula or lemon balm infusion, aloe vera juice, a paste made w/ oatmeal and water, or baking soda. For repelling, you could try the catnip (though it's risky ;) ) or lemon balm, lemon grass, citronella, or eucalyptus. I have had good luck making my own repellent with catnip extract (I made it myself by steeping catnip in vodka) and citronella EO.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
catnip risky? are we concerned about OFG's insane cat posse finding us?

I have a cat that already follows me on walks, I can just imagine what he would do if I were coated in catnip. I've tried to grow it and he EATS the entire plant down to a stump.

Of course you would recommend calendula, calendula.....:p jk

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I've read that high levels of b keep them away (i DO get fewer bites when I take a lot) and I've also read lower blood sugars do, too.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Of course you would recommend calendula, calendula.....:p jk
:lol: Well sure, it is my favorite herb afterall.

I have also heard that you should avoid eating salty or high potassium foods before going outdoors in mosquito-y areas because they are attracted to the smell. So no bananas!

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Try mixing 1 part disinfectant to 4 parts baby oil and rubbing into exposed areas - it seems to keep the bugs at bay

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the answers! I appreciate all of them. I think we will try the peppermint oil first.
Okra what kind of disinfectant are you talking about?