Mustard greens vs condiment?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This may sound like a really stupid question, but please forgive my ignorance.
I bought some mustard greens starts this spring & they've shot up going to seed. I'm wondering if those seeds can be ground to make mustard?
Also for some strange reason I've found several weeds that look just like the greens with the same yellow flowers that I did NOT plant and are growing far away from the greens. These volunteer weeds are not from the ones I bought since they are just starting to flower & haven't made seed yet. Are these volunteers a wild mustard? And can they be ground for mustard too?

Thanks for any & all info

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, and yes! I think it was FarmerDenise who made mustard from wild mustard seeds. The seeds are very dark in the wild ones, but are still mustard. You might find a reference to this on the fermenting thread.....I'd look for you, but that thread is now a reference manual! :p

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh thank you Free!!!

Now I have a free source of mustard. Though probably only enough for one tablespoon once processed. :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Good to know! I let some of those wild mustards run rampant in my garden and now they are prolific weeds. Although, frankly, since they are easy to pull and since they flower early in the season and the bees appreciate them quite a bit, they really do not bother me. I have been wondering if I could make mustard with them too.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I havent said so lately.. OMG I love you people! I swear you read my mind! I have wild mustard growing here too. I have been hesitant to pull it from the garden ( even though the greens are tough) because I was hoping to use the seed. Thanks!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you're using "very pungent" seeds, e.g. from greens-type or wild mustards, you would probably want to use a plenty-acidic vinegar for the initial soaking (when making mustard), to tame the taste as much as possible. If you use wine or beer or water instead the mustard inherently tends to come out a lot 'sharper', which may be tolerable if you're working with yellow mustard seeds but would probably be a big much with the more pungent types!

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts