My $1.50 meal for 4.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can I brag a minute? Thanks! For my family of four, we had nice boneless pork loin chops, pasta and a delish ratatouille that cost about $1.50 out of pocket! The meat was on sale, we only need about 3/4 lb for the whole family, 25 cent box of pasta, and all the veggies from our garden. The little things like olive oil, garlic and salt were storebought, but I think that is pretty good!

This is the ratatouille recipe I used. Couldn't be easier, and is great for using up summer veggies. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned.

http://dinner-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/ratatouille_recipe

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets excited about how little it costs to feed their family. I'm in the middle of canning right now, but I will share some of my blue plate special later. :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
good for you! dontcha just love a bargain?

and i love going out and getting produce from the garden for dinner

:)

here's my el cheapo meal that honestly we cant stop eating. its been like a week?? we still cant stop!

pork shoulder from our pigs, cooked in a little salsa in the slow cooker
barley from the bulk food place
black beans also cooked in the slower cooker (separate from the shoulder)
mix of zucch, spinach, onions and peppers sauteed

roll all up in a big burrito, pour salsa over, a little cheese and broil till bubbling

who needs to go our for mexican?

yay!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
After having a barn full of hay for the winter, making a meal with almost all homegrown things is the most satisfying. Surprises me how much pleasure that gives- to know where everything came from.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
Can I brag a minute? Thanks! For my family of four, we had nice boneless pork loin chops, pasta and a delish ratatouille that cost about $1.50 out of pocket! The meat was on sale, we only need about 3/4 lb for the whole family, 25 cent box of pasta, and all the veggies from our garden. The little things like olive oil, garlic and salt were storebought, but I think that is pretty good!

This is the ratatouille recipe I used. Couldn't be easier, and is great for using up summer veggies. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned.

http://dinner-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/ratatouille_recipe
Where are you finding 25 cent boxes of pasta? Our cheapest are 99c, once in a blue moon I'll find 69c, but never 25c!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--I saw that too!
.25 for pasta....that is a great deal. I can't get below 69-79