My 1st Homemade costumes!! I am so proud of myself!! =D

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
ok a little bit about how I made each one:

DD had a princess dress that was totally trashed except for the satin skirt part of it. I kept it around because I knew that I could re-purpose it, but didn't know what I would make it into. DD said that she wanted a poodle skirt so it now had a use!! :D

I went online and found a poodle template, printed and cut it out, then took some black felt and cut it out along the template. I took some ribbon that I had bought a few weeks ago for something else and sewed it to the skirt by hand to make a waistband. (lost my bobbin holder to the sewing machine that I really don't know how to use anyway:p )

She wore a shirt she already had, and a scarf that my friend brought to me. Her shoes, the felt, the bobby socks and the bracelets were brought to me by my parents. I called to ask my mom a question about poodle skirts and she found out what I was doing, and was all over it! :lol: It was awesome!! She went to the store, and came back with every thing I needed, and I didn't even ask!! :weee

(I couldn't find saddle shoes on such short notice, and I also wanted to make the black saddles out of felt and attach them to the shoes somehow but I ran out of time. The shoes are similar in shape to the keds they used to wear back then so it works)

10987_poodleskirt_crop.jpg

It was the day before halloween and my DS still hadn't decided what he wanted to be, and we didn't have the money to spend on an expensive costume. We went online and started looking around for ideas and my son found a lego brick and asked if I could make him one.

10987_lego_costume_crop.jpg

I went to wal mart and got a free box, bought 2 cans of red spray paint, some ziplock storage containers, and a roll of red duct tape.

We measured out where the ziplock containers should go, made the holes a little smaller than the containers so that we could stick them in from the inside. We duct taped them on from the inside. I double wrapped it in wrapping paper that I turned inside out and then we cut the paper around the holes and I cut "darts" for lack of a better word in the paper, so that we could fold it to the inside with minimum crinkling. Then my husband took it outside and spray painted. We wanted it to be transportable, so we made it so that it could be folded until he was ready to use it, so we just duct taped the top of it when we got there, so it would stay on DS' shoulders.

What I would have done differently on this one, but ran out of time:

I would have used poster board to cover it instead of wrapping paper, but I didn't think about that when I was at the store, and didn't have time to go back.

The original on the internet was used with butter bowls instead of ziplock containers, but I didn't have the time to eat that much butter or gather that many bowls! :lol: But if I did, that would have been free!

Let me know what you think. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!! :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
As cute as the bobby soxer is, the Lego boy is just genius. My daughter and her friends went as a box of crayons when they were four. Hardest thing was getting them to walk together! I remember, she was royal blue, because she was a towhead and had piercing blue eyes. Those were fun costumes.

You need to always make their costumes. you really have quite a gift.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Those are really adorable. You should be proud of yourself.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
You did an awesome job! I love them both...but I have to say making the Lego is pretty impressive . I would not have gotten my brain to figure that on eout if my kid asked me to make that! :gig