my attempt at oven canning

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
usually I store flour in Mylar bags with o2 absorbers in the freezer. it lasts for EVER and I don't have to worry about weevils. unfortunately we got some flour in 10 lb bags and they won't fit in Mylar bags and the freezer is nearly full so I had to come up with something else to kill weevil eggs before they hatch and keep the flour safe. so dry canning came to mind.
I looked on the web and it seems everyone is canning at 200-250°f for an hour for quarts. Google says weevil eggs/larvae die at 140°f after 15mins .

20200711_114213.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so i figured I would go in the middle and set the over at 225°f. just like when I use it to sterilize jars. I washed the jars, and then ran them I the oven to sterilize for 45 mins. it also dried them. I boiled the lids and set them out to dry. packed the jars and made sure the flour had settled by smacking them on the counter top. head space was between 1 and 1/2 inch. put them in the oven for an hour and checked temp. it was only 120°f. so i let them go for another half hour and they were all about 140°.
after they reached 140 I wiped the rims with a damp rag and put the lids on. they all sealed.
20200711_113926.jpg

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Chic, I found this site and followed her method:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I oven can dehydrated tomatoes. I put them in half pint jars and put the lids and rings on tight. I put the jars on a cookie sheet. I set the oven at 200 degrees and “can” the tomatoes for 7 minutes. Any longer or hotter and they burn. They pop a seal and stay good for years. I worked this out on my own.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My M-I-L did walnut halves. She couldn't remember much about it, because the jars I found in her pantry were dated from 10 years before. Fearing the worst, I broke open the seal and tried them. They were NOT rancid, they were kind of brown and crunchy- I think she must have inadvertently toasted them during the process. Whatever she did, they were delicious. I sure wish she could have remembered what she did though...