My bread won't rise

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made bread every other day all summer until my mixer died and didn't have a single problem. Now, twice in the past two weeks I haven't been able to get my bread to rise. Not even a little bit. I knead it by hand for about 10 minutes. Am I not kneading it long enough? My kitchen is about 66*, is it too cold?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Is your yeast old? Did you proof it? And, I would think 66 is too cool to get it to incubate well- what about putting it in the oven with a pan of boiling water under it to rise?

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made bread yesterday and it didn't rise either. :rolleyes:
I blame it on the cool weather and a bad "new" recipe. :p
Im going to try again today though! Good Luck! :thumbsup

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
Is your yeast old? Did you proof it? And, I would think 66 is too cool to get it to incubate well- what about putting it in the oven with a pan of boiling water under it to rise?
Well, the bag said the yeast expires 10/2008, but it's been in the freezer from the time I bought it until about 6 months ago. So I guess that might be the problem. I don't usually proof it, but I will the next time. I'll try letting it rise in the oven, the steam from the water won't hurt it?

NurseNettie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sounds like a combination of too cool, and yeast that's definitely too old. Get yourself new yeast, and , as suggested, put a pan/bowl, etc. of warm water under the rising bowl and you should see a big difference!

mandieg4 said:
I made bread every other day all summer until my mixer died and didn't have a single problem. Now, twice in the past two weeks I haven't been able to get my bread to rise. Not even a little bit. I knead it by hand for about 10 minutes. Am I not kneading it long enough? My kitchen is about 66*, is it too cold?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Proof the yeast before you toss it. I keep my house 65 but I knead my dough in the bread maker. When I let it rise, I warm up the oven a bit, then put the pans in there with a towel over top.

Are you making whole wheat? If so, have you added gluten? Did you start with a new bag of flour? Sometimes the bags of flour are different--as in less gluten.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I always proof my yeast just to be sure before I waste indredients.

Its easier to throw out yeast that is no good than to do all the work making the bread and then having to throw everything out.

I also will proof a second batch of yeast just to be sure before I throw any away. (I have been known to have my water to hot or to cool for the 1st batch to proof properly.)

In cool weather I let my dough rise in my oven. I turn the oven on for just a few min. to warm it up and then put my dough in. On real cold days I may have to add a bowl of steaming water about half way through the rise.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always proof my yeast in the winter esp and like the others I turn the oven on and bring it to its lowest setting then turn it off and open the door slightly to raise bread.

The house is too cold. I also set my bread too rise next to the fireplace sometimes depending on temps.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
The ideal temperature for yeast to grow is 80 degrees F. A slightly warmed oven is the best place to put your bread if you want it to rise well.

If you were using sourdough starter, you could grow it in a cold house, the bread would just take longer to rise . . . but I'm not sure that works as well with packaged yeast.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think a great place for bread to rise in is a microwave. First nuke a coffee cup full of water....push it to the back and set your bowl inside.

The warm humid environment is exactly what the yeast wants.