my chickens were killed .................. :(

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are my FB friends, ya'll already know my dog killed 8 of my 11 chickens. I'm just so upset. I cried all night. and what makes it worse is it really is MY and MY HUSBANDS fault. That makes it 10 times worse

When I built the run, the gate it was really flimsy, but I knew it would need to be fixed. I always was out in the "big yard" with the dogs so they couldn't even harrass the chickens, much less hurt them. Hubby went and got the gate for it, but it's been raining and I honestly didn't want to stand out in the rain to install the gate. That was my fault.
When hubby was cutting firewood, he took off part of the fencing that is where our firewood is kept but also where the dogs can go in and out of the house with out running the whole property. He didn't resecure the fencing properly because it was raining. That was hubby's fault.

I guess one of our dogs didn't care if it was raining.

The three that are left are shell shocked to say the least. Thankfully, one of our girls left was my favorite because she would always come jump in my lap when I was hand feeding. But she won't have anything to do with me. The other two have always been friendly, but not real happy about being picked up. Now, you can walk up to them and pick them up and they just squeek. Yesterday, I was holding two and later looked at my hand and their was blood on it. Not a lot, but about the size of a quarter. All three make this wheezing noise thru their nose (beak). I put antibotics in their water, but not sure what else to do.

They keep hudling in the corner of the coop. Only one will eat.
I'm just so sick about this I want to throw up.

:hit

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I completely understand. I had a foster dog did under the kennel fence and kill almost all of my free-range rabbits - THE MORNING BEFORE HIS ADOPTIVE FAMILY TOOK HIM HOME!!

Can you bring the 3 inside into a small cage (or outside in a small cage)? I think it would help them calm down and feel safer.

:(

:hugs

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I completely understand. I had a foster dog did under the kennel fence and kill almost all of my free-range rabbits - THE MORNING BEFORE HIS ADOPTIVE FAMILY TOOK HIM HOME!!

Can you bring the 3 inside into a small cage (or outside in a small cage)? I think it would help them calm down and feel safer.

:(

:hugs
well, I thought about that, but since I have two other dogs, my dog (she's as good as gold) and we are dog sitting for my MIL, I thought that would really stress them out. I've left them in the coop with the door closed, I turned the red heat light back on (since there are only three, I wasn't sure they could keep each other warm enough). I don't know alot about chicken thinking, but I thought because their coop was familiar, it would be more relaxing and feel safer.

Honestly, I had no idea about Jason, so now I feel stupid for being so upset when one of our own is dealing with something that makes my problem look like a splinter compared to an amputation.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs I am so sorry...Dont be too hard on yourself....these things happen unfortunately. I hope the last 3 recover for you.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
sorry to hear your news, honey. just take a big deep breath and then we'll all figure out what you can do.

taking the hens all up and securing them warm, darkish, and safe place is the best medicine. they will be freaked out for a while.

there's a couple other things you can do:

* do you have a big dog kennel that you can put in the garage and put a big towel over so they feel like they are hiding? they may be afraid to be in their coop/run since that's where the dog was. obviously make sure that the dogs arent all barky and sniffing around
* you can give them a little molasses in warm water also a little plain yogurt in their feed - this will strengthen them
* try to check their physical status - take each one gently into your lap and use your fingers to feel her all over... can you feel any cuts/bites? any broken bones or swollen areas? she may be panting because she is still afraid.

then give them a couple days to get back to normal. the "shell shocked" is kind of normal after an attack.

let us know if there are any obvious injuries.

check to make sure they are pooping and they will eventually start eating. talking to them in a low sing song voice will help calm them also. they may be off laying for a while so thats ok also.

our position is that basic first aid and rest does wonders. we would not take hens to the vet if the injuries are too bad... we would just cull them or let nature take its course.

as for the other hens - if you bury them make sure its DEEP and put heavy rocks/wood over them, or have a HOT burnpile, or double bag them and see if the garbage guy will take them. you dont want other predators to be drawn to your property.

the most important thing is to forget blaming who did what. one of the hard truths in farming is that not everyone makes it. its totally ok to cry - so go right on ahead! but then take the lesson learned and move forward.

the extra dogs may have set your otherwise generally-pretty-good-dog into more of a "prey motivated" mood - so thats good to know for the future. if he's inclined to chase the hens then this is a good point to work on training him to stay away from them.

and most of all its a good time to re-think your run and housing see where you can improve your security. but really, its easy to leave a gate open (i did yesterday) so even the most predator-proof housing wont protect 100%.

then go and have another good cry, pick yourself up, and do what you can. you'll be ok

*hugs!*

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
sorry to hear your news, honey. just take a big deep breath and then we'll all figure out what you can do.

taking the hens all up and securing them warm, darkish, and safe place is the best medicine. they will be freaked out for a while.

there's a couple other things you can do:

* do you have a big dog kennel that you can put in the garage and put a big towel over so they feel like they are hiding? they may be afraid to be in their coop/run since that's where the dog was. obviously make sure that the dogs arent all barky and sniffing around
* you can give them a little molasses in warm water also a little plain yogurt in their feed - this will strengthen them
* try to check their physical status - take each one gently into your lap and use your fingers to feel her all over... can you feel any cuts/bites? any broken bones or swollen areas? she may be panting because she is still afraid.

then give them a couple days to get back to normal. the "shell shocked" is kind of normal after an attack.

let us know if there are any obvious injuries.

check to make sure they are pooping and they will eventually start eating. talking to them in a low sing song voice will help calm them also. they may be off laying for a while so thats ok also.

our position is that basic first aid and rest does wonders. we would not take hens to the vet if the injuries are too bad... we would just cull them or let nature take its course.

as for the other hens - if you bury them make sure its DEEP and put heavy rocks/wood over them, or have a HOT burnpile, or double bag them and see if the garbage guy will take them. you dont want other predators to be drawn to your property.

the most important thing is to forget blaming who did what. one of the hard truths in farming is that not everyone makes it. its totally ok to cry - so go right on ahead! but then take the lesson learned and move forward.

the extra dogs may have set your otherwise generally-pretty-good-dog into more of a "prey motivated" mood - so thats good to know for the future. if he's inclined to chase the hens then this is a good point to work on training him to stay away from them.

and most of all its a good time to re-think your run and housing see where you can improve your security. but really, its easy to leave a gate open (i did yesterday) so even the most predator-proof housing wont protect 100%.

then go and have another good cry, pick yourself up, and do what you can. you'll be ok

*hugs!*
Oh, thank you! you're being so sweet! :hugs

well, as far as the coop, the dog killed the others in the run, not the coop. The coop sits in the middle of the run, so the dogs can't sniff around the coop at all.
My good dog wasn't out there at all and hasn't left her bed. I think she can tell I'm stressed.
My husband and I keep checking on them, but we're trying to leave them alone to rest. One chicken ate some bread out of my hand. I dipped it in the antibotic water and she ate some of that. Hubby said the others ate a little bread from him, but then went back over to the corner and cuddled together. I'll check them tomorrow for more extensive injuries. and yes, I agree. I won't take them to the vet if they are injuried, they'll get culled.

again, thanks for the sweet incouragement.

Latest posts