My cottage in the forest/ Mitt torp ute i skogen!

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have now stripped out all the flooring in the kitchen right down to the ground.
The old floor has been in since the beginning of 1900, and sometime in the 60s put them on chipboard = NOT GOOD, moisture damaged and decayed.

So yes, if anyone is wondering, you know after all what we're up to the next few weeks. ;-)

Wood stove weighs a lot so it was allowed to remain on the plate.

And you see the beam, where I have circled in red?
It is entirely decayed / eaten so the beam must be replaced. Will carve out a new one from dry pine.

/Markus

4339_p2040020.jpg

4339_p2040012.jpg

4339_p2040007.jpg

4339_p2040029.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a huge project you have undertaken! I'm sure it will be a labor of love and hope that it turns out exactly the way you want it to.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a LOT of work! Where are you living in the meantime?

This gives you a chance to fill your home with your own good energy and remove any negativity leftover from previous owners.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, it's a big project.
But there is nothing that gives so much back as when you are done with just a big project.

Imagine then, when it smells freshly baked bread from the nice white kitchen, decorated in a little French country style!
* longing *

Britesea: We have an apartment, but we are about to move out to the cottage again.
The apartment we have until October / November.
But I think I'll have enough time, I hope. ;) :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love old houses. That is awesome that you're fixing that one up. I can't wait to see the finished pictures.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a beautiful setting, it looks so peaceful.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neiklot, hurray for you! I've done projects like this a couple of times. They were well worth the effort.

Hinotori said:
I love old houses. That is awesome that you're fixing that one up. I can't wait to see the finished pictures.
I agree with Honotori.

Oh... also... thanks very much for posting the pictures of the beginning of your story, the story of this project. I feel that SufficientSelf needs more of these stories. You're contributing something good.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
What a beautiful setting, it looks so peaceful.
Thank you all!

And yes, it's very peaceful there, it's my total free zone in the world - which we can escape to when everything else feels heavy, or if you just want to get away from the outside world a little.

There is no electricity (Off-Grid, we are going to install a solar system a little later) so everything must be done with hand tools. Which is nice! Because you do not rush, you taking everything into a slightly slower pace, which means that even such a large work becomes like a silent meditation ...

More pictures will come later! ;) :)

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello again! :)
Well, the beam must be replaced, do you think I can splice it in half?
Half of the beam is namely in good condition to be used, and I also avoid lifting up one side of the house!

/Markus

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband said he didn't think it would be a good idea to splice the beam itself, but is it possible to sneak a sister beam alongside?