My dog ate a squeaker toy... :/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Now what?

He is a St. Bernard, about 100 lbs. He ate a small squeaky toy probably as big as a golf ball. :barnie He never eats toys that is why I was ok with him chewing on it. He has done this a million times before and left it behind when he was done chewing.

One of my last St. Bernards ate a broken tennis ball and bloated so I'm really worried. Is there anything I can do other than playing the waiting game?

(Please tell me 9 times out of 10 it will pass! :fl :fl )

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd say that it will pass, probably. But to be on the safe side, call the vet.

I had a cat that swallowed a sewing needle! I found her with it lodged in her mouth, thread still attached which was what attracted her in the first place. We tried to get it out and gulp, down the chute it went. I was in a total state of panic!! Called vet, x rays, etc, etc. He said to check poo daily, and sure enough, the needle made it out the other end. He told me later that sometimes needles cause real problems, but they usually wait to see what happens... I still have mixed feelings about that whole deal.
I have a different vet now, too.

Good luck, keep us updated, k? :hugs

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd take him to the vet--friends of mine had a dog who died after swallowing a squeaky toy :(

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Have you tried squeezing him?

:hide
:gig :gig :gig

he actually swallowed it whole? not to put to disgusting a point on it, but is the toy bigger than the end it is going to be exiting from? if so, then you might need to get help, otherwise theoretically he should be ok :fl :fl :fl good luck! I hate playing this sort of waiting game! :hugs

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It will come out the other side. I have proof, my dog ate a glow in the dark frisbee once, and I could see where he relieved himself in the yard a few nights later. :sick

With a dog that large, and a squeaker that small..I wouldn't worry.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
If you want to be on the safe side, go to the vet. But if the dog is still eating, and doesn't seem sick or anything, you might just wait it out. It sounds like, based upon the size, it has a good shot at passing.

You have to wonder how many things they eat that we don't even know about. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
keep a good eye on it and walk him for the pooping time so you can check.

cause this situation can go into surgery and be real bad, real fast. hope all comes 'out' ok :lol: