My dog needs a job?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's been talk here of various things for dogs to do, and some of y'all are very good working with dogs, so I was hoping for some suggestions.

I have a 13 month old male GSD, not yet altered (still a mental puppy). He's an inside pet, really, but he thinks he's a Most Vicious Guard Dog keeping me safe from all and sundry (especially squirrels in the pecan tree out the front door!).

I've taught him basic obedience ... very basic. He knows sit, down, stay, crate, bed (a blanket in the dining room), fetch, drop it, leave it alone, and a release to eat and one to go through a door. He knows the cats are not supposed to go outside and will herd them back inside if they go outside or into the garage.

I play fetch with him, and I've also been working to teach him to wait while I hide an object and then send him looking for it. I've never taught a dog to search for an object before, and he amazes me how quick he is with it!!! I can tell he's very scent-oriented, and not by sight at all. I've though of starting to expand that to some scent discrimination.

His problem is ... he needs a job. I have raised GSD's before, and worked with them in obedience. I remember when they hit about a year old, they've learned everything I know how to teach them, and I have to start looking for things to do with them to keep their minds occupied. I usually worked 8 hours a day plus lunch and commute then.

I work far less hours now ... I'm gone only 7 hours 4 days a week to work. I'm not always with him, because I don't allow him in the bedrooms or feed room. But he shouldn't be lonely.

He's had some behavior issues (he sometimes steals things and takes them into his crate, sometimes chews things up, and has started licking a front paw) and I've figured out pretty much that he is simply bored, and has a higher work drive than my previous GSDs did.

I don't like to run him too hard, because I've seen him have a little lameness on one rear leg. He sometimes holds the paw off the ground. There is no limping on it. He also tends to get excited and tries to change directions too quickly and sometimes slips, landing on his hips. The males in his bloodline are extra large (about 135-150 pounds) so I am trying to be careful of his frame, though I saw many of his relatives and all appeared sound (no, no x-rays in the past few generations).

Any ideas of what I can do to easily give him a job? I usually taught my other dogs various tricks and commands relating to their body position. My guy now ... well, he wants to know "why?" he should do something and I don't think he'd enjoy or take too well to being told to turn his head a certain way or hold his tail still. But when he sees a purpose, he's all over it.

Maybe the scent discrimination, as I was thinking. He REALLY enjoys me hiding something and sending him to find it, but it's become too easy for him, after only a week.

I know he'd love it if I let him herd the goats, but he'd just aggravate any animals I put him with, so I don't really let him work with them.

Any ideas??? Thanks, if anyone has any. He really needs to feel useful in order to be happy.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Therapy dog to nursing homes on weekends? He sounds like a good candidate :hu

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well if he's that bored...just let him and the cats out on your way to work ;) LOL He'll spend the whole day just trying to keep them as close the the front door as he can:) :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Retrieve (dead retrieve)
Carry
Deposit
Tug
Nudge

With those skills a dog can do just about anything. Drop your pencil, no big deal, your dog can pick it up.

Kids toys on the floor, no big deal, your dog can put them in a toy box.

Need that towel? Your dog can go get it.

Hands full of casserole? No problem, your dog can close the stove (or dishwasher) for you.

Fetch the detergent out of the cabinet? Sure thing.

Put a [fill in the blank] in the trash? You betcha!

I train(ed) mobility service dogs. I'm spoiled now, I don't see why *I* should have to pick up something off the floor. :cool: Your dog doesn't have to be a service dog to earn its keep. Any dog can be trained to do these sorts of things at home.

The last dog I trained for a mobility service dog, I would take her down by the university. She would pick up trash, run to the nearest trash bin and dump it. She loved it! She was in the news for it too. :cool:

http://volumeone.org/articles/article/227/Glimpse_No_Need_to_Fear_Trash_Dog_Is_Here

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/35162479.html

She had a bit of a paper shredding habit. It ended fast when I made her pick up each and every little tiny bit of paper and throw each one in the garbage.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First, there's no reason not to be neutered yet :D late neuturing ends up in marking and I HATE DOGS THAT MARK. They end up becoming the worst dogs to take into public, trust me I clean up after enough of them. My lab was neutered late @ 6 months but he doesn't know to lift his leg.

Therapy dog training is great! I take Jax *everywhere* and expose him to every last oppurtunity. The other day he got to sit next to the train teacks :) At 11 months he started visiting someone in a nursing home and people kept fawning over him.

I also got my moms "101 dog tricks" from TSC.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ditto on the no need to wait on neutering... he'll be as big as he'll be whether he has his treasures or not.

If you are very concerned about the lameness best to get it checked early - as I'm sure you know hip dysplasia is rampant in that breed, as well as various cancers. A large, active dog is an ACL tear waiting to happen (dealing with a partial tear for my 100+lb lab).

Get a "walky dog" and hook it to your bike for a long trip in the morning and at night.

Resting games - freeze peanut butter + treats in a kong, on a pig ear (I don't give them personally but if you do), wear him out mentally .... "Bang" (fall over and play dead), take a bow, back up, wave, turn this way / that way, pull a light cart / tarp, carry a backpack. My Lab could run for hours, but after about 30-45 minutes of obedience he is ready to nap. Rather than giving him regular "meals" - divide them up into several different puzzle games, hide some, etc

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Re: the hips

Do they ever "pop" when you touch them or move his hips around in your hands? Does he ever play hard then come to you with his tail "off center" or a little more wiggly in the hips?

Jax has hip displaysia, has since he was 6 months old (he's only just turned 13 months.)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I just saw a news segment about a woman who's dog is trained to look for drugs. It isn't a police dog, it is owned by a private citizen. Parents hire her to check kids rooms check for signs of drugs. No police involved, it is just a parent finding out if their kid is on the wrong path. It's how she makes her living.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Scent marking peeing is an attitude problem, not a housetraining or neutering problem.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*shrug* my boss (vet tech) warned me about it and everyone else I know. I see a LOT of dogs do it, which is irritating.