My Favorite Season! ---- YARD SALE SEASON!!! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So the town of Cadiz, 9 miles from us, is having their community yard sales this weekend :D

We got a late start, so it was a lot later than I wanted it to be when we got started.

I have a plastic sandwich bag that I have been putting quarters, nickels, dimes, and the occassional $1 bill in - this is my yard sale fund. :D I cannot spend more than what is in the baggie when I'm out, and once it's gone, I'm done with yard sales until it's built back up (though I didn't spend everything in my baggie today).

The first sale I wanted to stop at had baby gear advertised. The point of yardsales, IMO, is to acquire things you can use - or sometimes re-sell - on the cheap. Their baby gear was.not.cheap. I am sorry, if you used it, your baby probably spit up in it, pooped in it, peed in it, and you most likely (hopefully) washed it - and I am not paying new prices for used.

But, they did have other items that were on the cheap. I got the cutest little eyelet bonnet with a couple small pink roses on it for 25 cents plus two little girls summer hats for 25 cents each. Plus, they had a brand new still in the package My First Year photo frame for a girl, $1. So, total spent there was $1.75

Next sale we stopped at that had baby girl stuff - again, furniture was priced at almost new prices, and clothes were 50 cents - $1. I bought a size 2T summer dress for 50 cents.

Next yard sale, I found a pink Onsie that says Daddy's Princess, a 3 piece dress outfit 0-6 months for $1 and a size 6 mos dress for $1 - total spent, $2.50 (not that great of a deal, but the dresses were GORGEOUS so I rationalized it in my mind).

At the next - and what I thought would be our last - yard sale, I bought 7 fancy infant headbands (she has to be dressed up ya know!) for 10 cents each! A 6 months 2 piece Minnie Mouse Dress for 50 cents, and a beautiful purple plaid 3-6 months dress great for Church, $2 - the lady had $4 on it, so I asked if she'd do better than $4, but she wouldn't take less than $2....that almost choked me, but I wanted that dress!!!!

So on our way home, we saw one more sign - and it was THE BEST SALE of the day!! Except the Amish had already been there and cleaned her out of all her baby furniture :p But, they don't buy English clothes, and I got 13 outfits for - drumroll please - $1.25!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, at the end of the day, I spent $12.50 and have 19 outfits (some of which are 2,3 and more matching pieces), several girly headbands, several hats, and a beautiful picture frame!

Plus, I spent another $1 buying books for 20 cents each - three of them are Mark Twain!

Last Monday, I spent $3 at another yard sale and left that one with 4 summer hats and 3 outfits all for baby girl. :)

I love yard sales!!!!!!!!!!!

edited to add: I almost forgot! In the little village of Jewett, E found some pie/tart pans that have the removable bottom and the lady had a cook book for making pies/tarts with the pans. We got 4 pie/tart pans and the cook book for $2!!!! And they all look brand new!!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I hit one yard sale today as well and spent a couple bucks on a heavy duty cookie sheet and a book on soapmaking. Not too bad.

Yard sale season is my favorite season too :D I forgot today was Friday though and got out late :( Most I saw were well picked over.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My in-laws shared that the national Route 40 yard sale is going on this weekend. They drove most of Rt. 40 in Licking county and saw more yard sales than they could count!

If my daughter's sleepover ends early enough tomorrow I'll be driving Rt. 40 myself!!! :fl

moneysavingmomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I LOVE YARD SALES!!! :D We always have tons of them here in Memphis but so many people over price stuff. I too will not pay retail at a yard sale. I hvae figured out though that the "better off" a neighborhood the lower the prices. I guess these people are really trying to get rid of their junk and not make a living. I have a couple on my street that I assume do it for a living as they have one 3 days a week every week. They are really over priced. I have started to notice more and more people doing this in my area. I guess the economy is really that bad that people have taken on yard sales as careers since they are cheaper then opening a thrift store.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I stopped at one the other day that had TONS of baby clothes hanging on ropes, and I assumed they would be 50 cents or a dollar each outfit... so I had a couple cute things picked out... The woman stopped by and said 'it's $1.00 for a bag of clothes, I'll grab you a bag' When she came back she had a LARGE garbage bag.

I got 20 outfits... mostly onsies and jammies, a few shirts etc.. for a dollar, plus a battery operated baby 4-wheeler (really faded from the sun and it doesn't work but Aeryn uses it to hold onto and walk around) for 50 cents, and a hand crochet blanket that matches the green and pink of Aeryn's room for a dollar.

I LOVE good yardsales... but I find a lot of them so far this year are really expensive.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The one I hit Saturday with a gf had these awesome dishes still in the box. There was a casserole dish, a lasagna pan, a two tiered serving platter, two bowls with covers and some coffee cups. The lady said you can have the whole set for ten. We said sure since I wanted half of the stuff and my friend wanted the rest. Then she said hold on while I getnthe rest of the set. Then she brought out two sets of plates, serving bowls, a canister...Woot!!

We both totally scored.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Great score, WZ! That was incredible.

In the village of Jefferson (in our county) they have a community yard sale June 23 - JUne 25. The community park is filled with different people selling their yard sale items. Our church is next door to the community park, so our church fills the large rooms with yard sale items as well. It makes for a great week-end.

At the community yard sale a while back, I got my dehydrator for $2, a set of 5 kitchen throw rugs for $1, and TR got a wet/dry vac for $5.