Here was the recipe

1 package dry yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons sugar
5 1/2 cups flour

I left out the sugar.

I also went to bed and the breadmaker stayed on all night keeping the bread warm (I guess thats what its supposed to do).

Got up, opened the breadmaker, picked it up and it was a little hard. It was defiantly two lbs.

I cut a slice and it was ok at best but a little hard/ rubbery.

Is this because I left it in there and it stayed warm all this time?

Or is this normal?

I plan to eat it anyway.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You did this in the bread maker? What order did you put the ingredients in? And, how warm was the water?

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
water was warm. (maybe 80 degrees)

I put water in first, then the yeast, salt, olive oil, and then the flower

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Was this a recipe that came w/the bread machine itself? All the ones I've seen have called for the yeast to be put in last. This is a recipe for a 1 1/2 lb loaf. It's important to put the ingredients in in the order listed.

1 cup warm water (80* F)
2 TBL oil
2 TBL sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 active dry yeast, or 1 1/2 tsp quick rise yeast or 1/1/2 tsp bread machine yeast.

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new bread-maker. But I have 2 recipes that I use over & over. I now use my bread machine only for mixing & kneeding the dough, and then transfer it to a bread pan for the final rise & baking.

The few times I used the bread machine for baking, I never left the bread in the machine or used the delay function. I was always afraid it would turn out kind of dry & hard like your's did.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes the yeast should be put in last. I never let the bread machine make our bread either. I always transfer it to the loaf pan and bake it in the oven. For some recipes the machine lets it do the final rise for too long. When I take mine out I let the final rise in preheated oven 180 for 10 minutes, then bump it up to 350 for baking the bread. A LOT of the recipes make a harder more dense bread. None of the bread machine recpes I have ever seen make soft bread like we are used to. Try this recipe and put in all wet ingredients first, then the flour, then the yeast. I rearranged the recipe to make it easier. You can just do it in the order it is in now.

1/4 cup oil
1 1/8 cup water (or 1 cup + 2 Tbsp)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tspn salt
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tspn yeast

I mix it in the bread machine and then toss it in a pan let it rise and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
None of the bread machine recpes I have ever seen make soft bread like we are used to.
Wannabefree, I found this recipe on this forum & we love it! It makes for a nice soft loaf, great for sandwiches. I use warm water, and I eliminate the molasses & double the honey. I also use one large pullman loaf pan instead of 2 smaller pans.

I've been making 1-2 loaves per week & we've given up buying bread completely.

Soft White Bread
1 1⁄2 cups milk, water or whey
2 tablespoons butter
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons molasses
1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
3 3⁄4 cups flour
Soft White Bread

I mix this in the bread maker. Once the dough is ready, divide into two loaves and put in greased loaf pans. Let rise for 50-60 mintues. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, till top is a nice golden brown color. Remove and let sit for 15 minutes and then remove from loaf pan to cool on wire rack. Wait at least an hour before slicing it. and an electric knife is recommended.

--------------------------------------

After a couple of months, I realized that I should have given credit to the original author of this recipe. I found it on this site under the topic SIMPLE White Sandwich Bread, post #9, by miss_thenorth. Thank you so very much for the recipe.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bread is quite different from the stuff they sell in stores. Don't be put off by the difference---try a few more recipes until you have something you like. There are idiosyncracities for every kitchen, oven, and bread machine, so you'll have to make a few loaves to work out the kinks.

JacksFlock

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at making bread recently as well. My wife has made tons of it, but she's been working more and hasn't had time, so I figured to try it. We used to use a bread machine, but found it was just as easy without one. My latest recipe I tried was in Mother Earth News. The directions take longer to read than it actually takes to make the bread! Just 3 ingredients and water. SO EASY.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

I'm making some now with wheat flour and it tastes great.

jcombs

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I started making my own bread about 6 mo. ago. There is a learning curve to it! Here is the recipe I use:

6 cups (give or take) whole wheat flour, divided
1 cups warm water, divided
1/3 cup honey
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 Tablespoons melted butter

This makes two loaves. I would not omit the sweetening because it helps make the bread moist and also acts as another form of leavening. I use the white variety of whole wheat flour because it makes a smoother texture for the bread and I still get the nutritional benefits of whole wheat flour. I struggled for a long time with my bread being "crumbly" until I read and tried this great tip: allow the bread to cool in the pans after it is baked and brush some melted butter over the top. No more crumbly bread!