My First Batch of Pickled Sausages

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was young I loved eating pickled sausages. Then in the 70"s most of the makers started putting soy protein in their recipes. Due to soy (legume) allergy I had to stop eating them. I've been craving pickled sausage for years and decided to make my own. I used this recipe:

Pickling Brine
5 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. pickling salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. Texas Pete hot sauce

Meat Used:
Bar S Smoked Sausage

Cook sausages in oven 275 degrees F until sausages have an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. While meat is cooking add all brine ingredients to a pan, bring to boil for 5 minutes. When sausages are cooked pack in wide mouth quart canning jars and fill jars with brine to cover sausages. Store in refrigerator for 2 days before eating.

The brine tastes exactly as I remember. I tasted the sausages after one day and they definitely taste good. I then pulled a vacuum on the jars with my Foodsaver attachment to try to get the pickling process to accelerate.

Do any of you have any pickled sausage recipes, tips or tricks to share?
I would also like to do some pickled eggs with the same or similar brine.

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow!

?

never heard of pickled sausages before...but now my curiosity is up

(I might have to file this recipe away for when I'm feeling adventurous)

:D

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
bornthrifty said:
wow!

?

never heard of pickled sausages before...but now my curiosity is up

(I might have to file this recipe away for when I'm feeling adventurous)

:D
When I was growing up in Upstate NY during the 60's every country store and beer joint sold pickled sausages along with pickled eggs and pickled pigs knuckles. They eventually were replaced with the advent of Doritos and the Slim Jim. They still sell them in some convenience stores.

Pickled sausage is always a good accompaniment to a hearty beer.

The tangy notes of vinegar harmonized with the salty heat of the peppers and the wholesome snap of the sausage to produce a veritable concert of flavors which tantalize the taste buds to a crescendo of mouth tingling goodness.

In other words it's really really yummy. Spicy but not unbearably hot. Very tangy but it doesn't kill the smoky sausage flavor.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
The really old way, was to lacto ferment them.
I have plans someday to do so.