My Garden is Ruined :(

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had a very bad storm here this morning with 76+ mile per hour straight lined winds. It was horrible! We lost two nice big trees as well as many branches, but worst thing of all is my garden! Everything in it is laying on its side! I don't know if anything will continue to produce or not!! My toomatoes were beautiful, as tall as my 9 year old and loaded with tomatoes. Do you think the tomatoes will still ripen?? Also my peppers are all laying down. They were heavy with produce as well?? This is such a bummer!! I will try to post pics later. Right now we don't even have power! I am borrowing a laptop from work.
I sould be happy however, we have already gone through two tornadoes. One took everything we had. So glad to report no major losses just alot of hard work down the drain!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I feel for ya!! Mine never even got a good start. We had so much rain, (27 out of 30 days it rained,) and mine was under water for that amount of time. I got one tomato out of my whole garden

:hugs

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, Nuggetsowner! I'm glad to hear that you're ok.

Many plants will continue to grow, even while prone. If your tomatoes' stems are in tact, they should be ok; if they are cracked or broken, you can bind them together and they will usually keep on going (I have even used band-aids to hold them together). They may be in shock for a bit, but with water and TLC many should survive.

Good luck and God bless!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. I would be devastated :( I bet your tomatoes will make it, though. Probably even the peppers as long as the stems are not snapped off. Good luck :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
What a disappointment- most things have sometime to recover.
With tomatos- if you stake them back up, they will probably continue to grow. If any are totally broken off the plant but has some reasonable tomatos, take them and hang them in the garage or something- they may not taste as good as if they ripened on the vine but they stand a good chance of riping on the branch. Around here we have to finish off tomatos like this as it sometimes doesn't get warm enough to ripen.
Anything viney should recover fine but watch to see they have good air circulation.
I hope that you can save most of your garden. But what a pain.................

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:aww That is sure bad news! I keep waiting for a storm to hit that will lay over the corn...we get at least a couple of those in August each year. I hope your plants recover and you can still harvest....will be tough if everything is laying down, though. So sorry!!! I know it would be heart breaking after nurturing a garden all spring.... :(

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, we have power again!! Thanks for all your kind words. I do think most things will actually be OK. I have gone out and staked up the tomatoes and the green peppers. I cut the dill, it is a tad early but I still think it will be fine. I am just taking a wait and see approach to everything else. Nothing completely snapped off but the onions are at a 90 angle right above the onion themselves so I am not so confident with them. Thanks again for your words of kindness!!

Pakalana

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We had one like that earlier this year. Popped most of the roof (metal), took a tree and less branches than we thought...I think the roof took most of the hit.
My garden, omg. I went out and propped up the corn stalks (I was surprised to see them recover), the potatoes recovered on their own, everything else the stalks take a steep turn then grow up from there. Mine recovered better than I thought it would.

I have a friend that just lost her entire garden to a really bad hailstorm, it's all gone. It seems to be a beat up the garden, weatherwise this year.

Hang in there! It may surprise you.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we tend to get hail damage in the T-storms

had hail about 1 month ago and yup, fields took a huge hit! :(

I know how you feel.

We had another big T-storm about last week.....got my pool liner punched with a big stick and 2 tin panels on goat barn tore up...(yup, insurance guy coming)

Mother nature sure does what she wants.
:)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I hope everything will be OK.:hugs A couple of months ago, we had some pretty rough straight line winds. We lost a redbud tree. Alot of my tomato and pepper plants were layed over. I tied them up and they are producing just fine.