My Garden is Ruined :(

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh wow. Good luck, I hope that you are pleasantly surprised and can salvage most of your harvest. We've had a few bad storms lately, but thankfully the worst of it has missed us. There is a little place on my way to work that has a huge, beautiful garden (I have the worst kind of garden envy over it!) that really took a beating in one of the last storms. All of their corn was flattened....I was so sad for them!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I know what you mean. LAst aAugust there was a TORNADO! (yes in VERMONT) it was 50 yards from the house, it DESTROYED my garden, and flipped all the kayaks, and boats over.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
We had a very bad storm here this morning with 76+ mile per hour straight lined winds. It was horrible! We lost two nice big trees as well as many branches, but worst thing of all is my garden! Everything in it is laying on its side! I don't know if anything will continue to produce or not!! My toomatoes were beautiful, as tall as my 9 year old and loaded with tomatoes. Do you think the tomatoes will still ripen?? Also my peppers are all laying down. They were heavy with produce as well?? This is such a bummer!! I will try to post pics later. Right now we don't even have power! I am borrowing a laptop from work.
I sould be happy however, we have already gone through two tornadoes. One took everything we had. So glad to report no major losses just alot of hard work down the drain!!
I am sorry about your garden. We had a bad hail storm earlier in the spring that nearly destroyed everything in my garden. Well, I thought it was all ruined because that is the way it appeared. However, I was really surprised when most of the plants were able to recuperate.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your storm, although I'm glad that your garden isn't as bad as you first feared. It's amazing how resiliant plants are, as long as the top part is still attached to the bottom :)

We had similar stuff here yesterday - one of our chickens got an unexpected one-day reprieve when I spent my pre-dinnertime hours removing a large spruce tree from our garage roof instead of processing him. (Chicken is now in fridge, however). Fortunately it did no real damage except to the eavestroughs which frankly needed replacing anyhow. And the big silver maple in the backyard, which has been tipping slowly to the SE in every big wind since a massive stormfront blast two years ago, is now tilted noticeably more E and more S, and I'm getting closer to thinking it will have to come down, which sucks b/c it is pretty much our only remaining recreational shade tree :(

Fortunately the tomato foliage seems to have deflected most of the hail we got, some of it over an inch although most of it more like 3/4". A few dings, but not too bad.

Weather. Who needs it. I sure don't. :p

Hope your week improves,

Pat

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It was so funny to see this come up on recent posts again. I was out in the garden today and most things have turned out just fine. My peppers have been producing great! I pick about 10 - 15 a day. My potatoes didn't even seem to be bothered except that they grew a little sideway after the storm. The same thing goes for the tomatoes. We tried restaking them but they were so big and heavily laden with fruit that they ended up growing kind of sideways anyway!! I have been getting lots of tomatoes though!! I have already put up a bunch of salsa and spaghetti sauce and today I did just a few jars of plain tomaoes. The onions are a little smaller than I would have liked -the tops are starting to dry up so not sure they will get any larger, but the ones that I have harvested and used have had very good flavor! The Zucchini are producing ok. Its funny though, I planted three and thought oh my, what am I going to do with all that. No worries though, we have really not had much surplus to get rid of. My boys are waiting to harvest the five large pumpkins that are starting to turn orange and we have been eating cantaloupe and watermelon. All in all I would have to say that this has been a great gardening year for us! Even if I did get a scare about half way through the summer!!