My garden

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Even your drinking water. That is great. My parents live on a lake (resevior) for water supply to the area and it is just wonderful having that lake. Makes for one great lifestyle---lake living.

My Dad uses a pump for watering his garden and such from the lake. Having to pay for house water he loves using the lake water to save money. (off course you pay for that right, permits to use lake water...lol..so they get ya one way or the other)

Sounds like you love your living situation. I sure love my state of NC also.

Are you located close to a large town or are you very rural where you are?

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very nice Morelcabin. We water our garden out of the pond on our property. We have a pump and generator for that exact reason. I would like to switch it over to solar but that is another project for another day!

Have to say I am a little jealous of your beautiful lake property!! Living in Minnesota is nice but every once in a while I think it would be nicer to move north. That is untill I think of the short growing season and extremely cold winters. On second thought...Minnesota is great!!

What part of Canada are you from? If you don't mind me askin'.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Very nice! I am sure you will have fun in your garden next year!

Not to hijack the thread, but I keep hearing about GM garden seeds. Is this true? Wouldn't they be listed or have trademark signs in the seed catalogues? I know that most of the stuff sold in the general catalogues is hybridized, but GMO? Oh no!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
AWSOME!!! My garden is 30x60 (give or take) and I found that putting the plastic mesh about 1 foot high all the way around helped with the rabbit situation, then I had to put up hot wire for the cows, lol.

Make sure you plant extra to compensate for bugs and possible disease. I tried my darndest to stay away from using pesticides, and as a result, my cauliflower is ruined, lol. Oh well, I'm the only one who likes it anyway. :p I found green beans need not be plannted 'en mass' like peas or potatoes....I was giving the darn things away after canning about 25 quarts!! :rolleyes: Oh, and if you're planting cucumbers? One plant will do ya, trust me, 2 will have you over run with them!! hehe, needless to say, I learned a lot with my first garden this year. :cool: