my lab has chronic yeast infections....help

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is a herbal supplement called Olive Leaf Extract that you can add to his feed also....this has worked wonders for my son's chronic yeast in his sinuses. Two or three days of it will clear him right up.....until the next time he pigs out for months on carbs and sugars.

This is a natural anti-fungal and not expensive.

Is your dog diabetic?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
He started getting the infections shortly after he healed from an ear injury he got fighting off another dog. Since then he has just gotten them one right after the other and the doctor just keeps switching up his antibiotics.

It's just his right ear (the one that got torn up in the fight). Never had any problems with the left.

He does appear to have lost some weight lately though. :/

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
There is a herbal supplement called Olive Leaf Extract that you can add to his feed also....this has worked wonders for my son's chronic yeast in his sinuses. Two or three days of it will clear him right up.....until the next time he pigs out for months on carbs and sugars.

This is a natural anti-fungal and not expensive.

Is your dog diabetic?
this is pretty good stuff and it is best to get a product that is standardized to about 20% oliepurines or some word like that.
Long term use, 3 to 6 months can clear up a lot of what ails ya.
One cap 2 x day.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Brewers Yeast added to a quality food helps also.........

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am glad this got posted.

Our dog has a skin infection. We took her to the vet and we gave her antibiotic as prescribed. The skin infection improved, but it is still there. Our dog has always had skin problems and we have been carefully searching out a food that doesn't cause such a bad reaction. Our vet has stated in the past, that it might also be an environmental allergy.
So I keep looking for ways to keep the inflamation and itching down. This is the first time her skin actually got infected. I have been bathing her 2x a week, using different products each time. From gentle organic shampoo with hydrogen peroxide added, to baking soda to aloe vera. It is getting better. I think next time I will buy her "Taste of the wild" dogfood, if the one she is on now, doesn't help.
I also often "cook" for my dog. I made a nice batch of chicken soup for her today. No noodles of course ;)

She gets kefir and yogurt on a regular basis and she loves it. I am thinking that maybe next time, I'll put some in her bath water.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Where do you get Taste of the Wild dogfood, I've never heard of it? How much is it?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I get it from a local independent feed store, but in many areas Tractor Supply carries it.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes to grain and corn free! Jaxon was on pedigree when I got him and he had nasty infections, was grossly skinny and had a nasty coat. Now he's done a complete 360, and is getting more raw food by the day.

Go to an independent pet store, or feed store, they will have it. Its more expensive the sams club dog food, but that food is just fillers.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Update: Found some Diamond brand dog food at TSC yesterday.....no corn, no wheat, no soy. It does have barley in it but it is waaaaaay better than the crud they were eating before.

I did the 50-50 water/ACV in his ear the last 3-4 days and it is soooo much better! I think I will continue to swab it with the solution for at least one more week every day but it is like night and day!

Thank you guys so much for all the advice! Tonka feels much better and isn't whining when you touch his ear now. It is only taking 3-4 q-tips to clean his ear and before it was taking like 10-12 AND cotton pads to get it all cleaned out.

Both dogs seem to really like the new food, I had about a half a bag left of their old food and mixed it with the new food so it doesn't mess up their systems.

Latest posts