My Latest Cheap Meal

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think this should be an ongoing thread. Please share what you come up with that makes for a cheap meal!

Breakfast for 8 = .66 cents.

Fried Back Yard Gems - free (we won't discuss feed ok?)
Watermelon given to DD - free
3lbs of potatoes fried - 1/3 of a 10lb bag bought at $1.98 = .66

This does not include staples like butter, oil, salt & pepper.

I have to admit...I was pretty pleased with myself and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their breakfast. Normally I would add bagels, english muffins and/or bacon...but I either didn't have it or wanted to save what I did have for school mornings :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have some of those back yard gems too! LOL

My breakfast today was...

2 scrambled duck eggs (free...sort of) fried with
1 round zucchini (33)
1 Tbsp of cream (lets say 25 worth)
ground beef ($1.56/lb...1/2 pound worth - 78)
dried tomatoes (another 25 worth)
salt, pepper, garlic, fennel and cayenne pepper (10?)
and a side of cherry tomatoes...free from the garden

Total: $1.71 for the batch, but I got full after I ate about 3/4 of it....
so my actual cost was only around $1.28 and hubby used my leftovers as a snack :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is my day so far:

Goat's milk (free ;) ) with chocolate...um.... $0.25?
Eggs....free, cooked in goat butter, free
Fritters...batch was maybe $1.50 of purchased items, rest free, I had about a 1/4 of the batch, so $0.38
Tea, black with ginger/chai in it, homemade...two double mugs, $0.6 for tea bags (four bags) and...um....$0.10 each for the chai, so total for a quart of fancy tea: $0.26

So, a fancy breakfast, gourmet tea, and yummy lunch for one: $0.89! All healthy and quick, too.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Nice Free!

I love seeing not only what everyone is eating but also, where the food comes from and how much y'all pay. :thumbsup

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Since the canners were still on the stove when dh came home from his teaching job, I suggested we have something home-canned tonight and the rest of the fritter batter. He chose chili and I was gonna have this year's beef stew to see if I liked it, and then I spotted the peanuts I just did.....they won! We also had our veggie shakes....I tend to not want those so much when the weather gets cooler, but they are SOOOO good.

Totals....hmmm....

Peanuts: $0.90
Chili: 1.00
Fritters: .38
Veggie shakes: 1.25

Gourmet dinner for two: $3.53

Not the cheapest, I am guesstimating the cost, but still pretty good!

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Since the canners were still on the stove when dh came home from his teaching job, I suggested we have something home-canned tonight and the rest of the fritter batter. He chose chili and I was gonna have this year's beef stew to see if I liked it, and then I spotted the peanuts I just did.....they won! We also had our veggie shakes....I tend to not want those so much when the weather gets cooler, but they are SOOOO good.

Totals....hmmm....

Peanuts: $0.90
Chili: 1.00
Fritters: .38
Veggie shakes: 1.25

Gourmet dinner for two: $3.53

Not the cheapest, I am guesstimating the cost, but still pretty good!
The veggie shake thingy sounds interesting! More info pretty please?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to a company BBQ for lunch and a church social for dinner. $0.00 :D:lol::p

Well, that price isn't exactly right, since I did take dessert to both.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Veggie shakes need to be made with a major-heavy-duty machine...we have a VitaMix, but a masticating juicer might work, never tried one, just heard of them.

We use something like this: a carrot, a handful of fresh or frozen greens (spinach or collards, mostly), a handful of frozen berries, a handful of grapes if we have some, kefir or yogurt, milk, and stevia. Sometimes I will freeze canned pineapple if it is on sale, I will freeze chunks or slices in baggies or crushed pineapple in ice cube trays. My hubby puts apples and/or bananas and such in his, but I am allergic to many tree fruits, so I tend to add an extra carrot.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
If I can jump in and add a little to the shake thing...

We do shakes too (DH & I) I keep sliced bananas in the freezer along with a variety of berries. I usually do a few banana slices, several berries some kefir and filtered water to thin it out as necessary....but sometimes I had a big handful of spinach. It turns a lovely pink.purple shake to a nasty shade of baby poo green/brown, but you can not taste the spinach at all!

Free...if one did not have a Vitamixer or such they probably could run a few carrots and apples thru a kitchen aid or hand shred them and then proceed with a regular blender. I don't add the harder items, but I should try it. I love my shakes!

Latest posts