My mayonnaise needs your help!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why is my homemade mayonnaise lousy?

It tastes delicious, but the texture is kinda lacking. It does not get as thick as it should. I have made three batches. All were edible, but none really spreadable, they were all too thin.

I tried reducing the oil to 3/4 cup, and that made it worse. I have tried doing it by hand, and I have tried the electric mixer, with no difference in results. I've never broken the emulsion, it always incorporates fine and comes out smooth, just too thin. Argh.
Using this recipe:
http://www.justhungry.com/2006/02/basics_mayonnai.html

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What kind of oil are you using? I use one cup and one egg plus one yolk. Both need to be at room temp.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Their steps are different from what I've seen/used. I've always used one bowl. Be sure that the eggs you are using are room temperature. One other thing I noticed about their recipe is that they only use the yolks. I use one whole egg plus one egg yolk. Here is the way I usually do mine. I use a blender.

1. In blender, mix all egg parts and seasonings.

2. Once blended, SLOWLY DRIZZLE oil in while blending. It will thicken up.

3. When it has thickened, stop blending.

4. Stir in any remaining oil, if needed.

I haven't had any issues that are not seasoning related, almost always too much salt. I'm going to try using my KitchenAide mixer next time to see if I can safely double the batch. :fl

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used plain ol' veg oil (another discussion for later, I know there are problems with that), and egg yolks right out of the coop. Both room temp.

This latest batch I tried the one egg plus one egg yolk, same results. Can a person overbeat mayo? Or underbeat?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you underbeat, there will be some oil that isn't incorporated. If you overbeat, it will separate or get loose.

I stop at the moment it gets thick, then use a spatula to stir in the last bit of oil. I use canola oil, it is my only use for veg oil. I plan on getting something else next time I am at Whole Foods to experiment, but never remember to! I'm not sure which one I will try, any suggestions, anyone? I was not happy with my EVOO batches, and my chicken fat batch got too hard. My "Mary's blend" (equal amounts of coconut, EVOO, and sesame oils blended as per Dr. Mary Enig) batch was too coconutty. Hmmmph.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried EVOO to make mayo with as well. It tasted too much like EVOO. Fancy that! I usually use regular ole veggie oil.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, the EVOO batch tasted really narsty. The texture was the same, but the flavor was oookie.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Part of the problem may be that you cut back on the oil. Mayonnaise actually gets thicker the more oil you incorporate (within reason). Assuming you are doing everything else as you ought, keep adding oil until it thickens up. Using 1 whole egg, or 2 yolks, you would want about a cup of oil; for 1 egg and 1 yolk you'll need up to 1 1/2 cups. Just take it slowly, and stop when it is thick; you mightn't need it all ... but then again, you might ;)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used the one egg plus one yolk recipe, with veggie oil on the lowest speed on my stick blender and I turned it off just as soon as the oil was all in. Mine turned out amazingly thick and fluffy. I was suprised considering it was my first time.

Latest posts