My mom wants her pressure canner back

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When this EXACT same thing happened to me several years ago I actually cried.

It was right in the middle of green bean season!!

Hubby came to the rescue and we bit a bullet and bought a NEW All American pressure canner and I am in total love with the thing. They cost a bundle, but they should last as long as I live and I do use it A LOT! Well worth the money.

By the way ... there are no seals to go bad on an All American and it had BOTH a dial and a weight gauge for safety sake. :thumbsup

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't pass up an All-American if it was cheap enough. I used a borrowed one for my first few tries at pressure canning. I had even planned on buying one.

However, I found a local person giving away hundreds of jars (WOOHOO!!) and he had a 1970's-era Presto that he sold me for $15. I couldn't pass it up. It worked well after a replacement gasket (<$10), and is ever-so-much easier to use. I had trouble getting the AA lid on correctly spaced and even. I liked the old one so much I searched for and bought another 1970's Presto from E-Bay. With shipping, it was less than $50.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neither would I! I've heard NOTHING but good things about them, I'm just semi-broke. Got money, but not enough for a giant all american :/

Woo hoo Hanna! I hope (after the legal beagles get done raking my aunt over the coals) that I can get my grandma's pressure canner & racks. Grandma'd want it to be used, not stuck somewhere gathering dust.

Tinychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 23 quart Presto and contacted customer service about a weighted gauge. She told me you could purchase the weighted gauge at Amazon, but it might not be necessary.

She explained that the pressure regulator that is already on that canner will start spinning at 15 pounds of pressure. So if you need 15 pounds, you don't need to purchase anything else.

I thought I wanted the weighted guage but have been very happy with the dial. I only need 11 pounds and 15 would be overkill for me.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
15 pounds is when the weight on my guaged canner starts to shake.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Remember that a flat stovetop will limit what you can buy for a pressure canner.

I have two 23-quart Presto's, but I've never tried anything else. I get a LOT done in those babies on my flat stove!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We bought two of those adjustable pressure weight s for our 23 qt Presto canners and they work GREAT! If you just need 10lb, set the weight at 10 and forget it!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
THAT'S what I want! I was pretty sure that was what Hannalee meant. I process at most stuff 10lbs as I'm only a few hundred feet above sea level.

I've got a countertop propane stove, with the "stands" so your pan sits above the gas level. Not sure of the terminology, but its not a flat top, that much I'm sure of. Never really liked flat top stoves. I grew up cooking on one very similar to what I have now.

My presto should be here in a few more days! :ya