My mom's Salvation Army find

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Mom and I get together every other week or so to go shopping etc. Today we decided to stop by the local SA store to see if there were any good deals on sweaters. We found some nice ones last year for just a few dollars. One day last year we were in there and found an authentic Scottish woman's skirt but it was several sizes too small for either of us. Within days we were kicking ourselves for not buying it anyway and then trying to sell it on Ebay or giving it to a friend whom it would fit.
Well, Mom found a Pendleton wool pleated kilt today, again to small, but it was marked $2.99 so she grabbed it. Got to the register and the cashier says, "Nice skirt, oh and we just dropped all the white tagged prices to 99 cents this morning!" Pendleton wool skirt for 99 cents! Would have been nice if one of us could wear it but we know a few people who would love to have it!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Last summer I was at Value Village, and two women were talking aobut how cute this kitchen decoration was. Going on and on... so of course I was intrigued. I eyed it and agreed with them (in my head of course). One llady hummed and haaaa-ed about it for quite a while, then decided not to get it. i snatched it up quick before she changed her mind. I tried to play it cool, but I ran to the check out and bought it right away. Sometimes you can find some nice things at those shops for great prices.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Grab it if you like it because it won't be there when you go back!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great deal H23
that is what my MIL does alot...she loves to shop thrift stores and goodwill, christian ministry store, etc.

she finds things for others all the times and gives it to them. she is a good person and doesn't spend alot of money but is always thinking of others! COOL

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One time a couple years ago we went to the goodwill and they had coats "buy 2 get one free". I got a Columbia fleece-lined windbreaker, and a Coldwater Creek faux sheepskin jacket, and my BF picked out a jacket.

We got a pair of Red Wing boots that usually run about 150bucks for 5.

Never buy new!! (except undies, of course). :)

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My best find ever...........and this was well over 20 years ago....was a cashmere shell and cardigan in a beautiful soft grey, for only $2!!! They went with everything from blue jeans to a nice pair of black wool slacks that I found at the same thrift store.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Once I went to a local "dig 'n' save" outlet... basically, big cardboard boxes full of unfolded, messy clothes for $1 a pound... they don't have time or employees to sort things, so it's cheap. Anyway, they had a sale: all coats $1 even. And I found a huge stash of coats from the local police department. Really really warm, airtight around the sleeves and the waist, reflective coating, tough as nails, many many pockets, and not even half bad-looking. And I got one that fit perfectly for a buck! It was my winter coat for many years. Great find, I thought.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A $1
wow scottyg

I can not find a good a deal as that! truly amazing --that is considered free to me! :)
wonderful place your "dig n save'--wish I had one of those here. whew

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
What fun!
Every coat I own was found used. Now mostly they are farm coats, usually needing a bit of mending, but really rugged and warm. Two weeks ago I found a "go to town" coat! It is wool blend, designer label and looks like it was never worn, for $5 :woot

And it even fits perfectly! I get a lot more excited about these finds than getting something new and paying full price.