My most successful gift

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have been pleasantly surprised at how popular the gift of my two varieties of garlic has been.
One type has a bit of a bite and the other is milder. One is purple striped the other snow white.
They make a pretty presentation even though I don't braid them (hard necks.)
More people doing their own cooking I guess- last time I did this years ago, most people never used them- they ended up as decoration in a kitchen til they were hollow husks.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:D sounds like an awesome gift! I planted my first garlic this fall. Maybe I can follow your example next Christmas if I'm successful!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I planted garlic for the first time....late for my area, but I am hoping some grows. Well, it did. Already. It all came up about six inches. Will it survive and re-grow next spring? Or can I call it a failed crop and plant something else there next spring?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I planted garlic for the first time....late for my area, but I am hoping some grows. Well, it did. Already. It all came up about six inches. Will it survive and re-grow next spring? Or can I call it a failed crop and plant something else there next spring?
Depending on the variety- a resounding yes. Garlic overwinters with a little care in a cold climate. It probably could use a good mulch to keep it from frost heaving. If you're very cold, I would make it a thick layer.

Overwintered garlic usually give the biggest crop in areas not too hot or too cold.
Good luck with your crop.

Latest posts