MY NEW HOME

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Well, I can't have chickens or any other type of "farm animal" where I'm moving to because we are right in a town but I surely am going to have a garden ( a raised one OR a container garden) next year so that way I can learn how to do canning and won't be spending lots of money on fresh (even though not how fresh the veggies are at the store) veggies. Sure I could buy veggies from farm stands but those are more expensive than the stores. I also can vacuum sealer veggies for the freezer if I don't want to can them seeing how I was gifted a cheap version of a Food Saver for Christmas last year.
Are there specific ordinances prohibiting fowl?

Even some of the larger cities around here permit up to 6 female chickens, but no roosters.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are there specific ordinances prohibiting fowl?

Even some of the larger cities around here permit up to 6 female chickens, but no roosters.
Yes there is! Believe me I would love to have chickens for the eggs instead of always having to buy them from FH co-worker at $4/doz but maybe in a few years we will be in a better spot so we can get a house out on a country road outside town limits so I can get chickens

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yes there is! Believe me I would love to have chickens for the eggs instead of always having to buy them from FH co-worker at $4/doz but maybe in a few years we will be in a better spot so we can get a house out on a country road outside town limits so I can get chickens
Don't discount the possibility of keeping chickens on someone else's property. Sometimes older folks like to keep their properties in use even when they aren't able to keep up on things themselves.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Find out what you need to do to change the zoning for chickens. It's not a huge deal in most towns to have a limited number of hens. Check it out, you may be surprised.
Knowing my luck I would end up with all roosters and have to get rid of them after getting attached. I know, I know your not supposed to get attached to "farm animals" but that's just how I am- LOVE animals and get attached quickly

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll have to discuss it with FH cuz I had told him at one point (a few months ago maybe even last year) I would like to have a little homestead (chickens, maybe a beefer and milk cow plus a small garden) and his replpy was "we're too old to start farming now"

Latest posts