my random recipes

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those all sound very interesting ... but, what is a mayhaw? And what could those of us without mayhaws use as a substitute?

bmiss

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A relative of the hawthorn, the mayhaw tree originated in the southeastern United States. Mayhaws grow naturally in boggy areas, and they flower early in the growing season, usually around February. Red, edible fruit develops in mid to late spring, growing 1/2 to 1 inch around. Plant as an edible ornamental or cultivate this tree in the orchard for its tasty fruits. can be made into jelly, wine or syrup. an expensive jelly.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess that those of us in the Pacific Northwest are out of luck then. But it is interesting to read about.

bmiss

Power Conserver
Reaction score
^i have a buddy from the klammoth falls (i think)....and he's always telling me about huckleberry pie and how awesome it is. too bad we cant grow those here.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bmiss said:
^i have a buddy from the klammoth falls (i think)....and he's always telling me about huckleberry pie and how awesome it is. too bad we cant grow those here.
Looks like, wherever we live, we all miss out on something. But we all, also, have something that others don't ;). Your buddy is right; huckleberries are delicious :)