My recycled roman aquafer system for my garden

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK here it is.

First I have gotten 95% of my stuff from the local dump or left over from other jobs like screws, wire and old tubs.

My house and garage sit up hill from our garden so this system really works great here.

First I set up the gutters on both sides of the garage. I make sure they all drop to one point and then have them empty into other gutters. This is the square gutter since it is falling. :) Pitch is key so you don't want to have the square gutter drop to the ground. I cut it half way up the garage wall. That gives me enough pitch from the garage to the first tub in the garden. It's about 40 feet away from each other. Since the gutter running from the garage to the garden is elevated I had to support it all. Our chicken coop fence runs between the garage and garden so I used that as a support to support about 20 feet of the run. So now I only had to make one supprt leg for the rest of the run. I built a wooden post with a arm on it and wire tied it together. Easy and cheap. Then the end of the gutter went through the garden fence right into the first tub.

If I knew how to post pix on here I would show you all the set up.

I only had to buy the drop connectors for the gutters. I fouund all the gutter and hangers from the dump. People throw it away like enaything else. Especially after winter when the snow has destroyed some of it.

Our next step is to bury tubs lower and lower in the garden and connect hose from tub to tub. The over flow will fill the tubs down the line. Again eveything was free. I got the hose from the dump and tubs from jobs I do.

I'm not going for looks here. I'm looking for frugalness and a system that works. I do have to say the system actually looks good the way I have set it up.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now, isn't that just too cool! It's pretty flat here, but I do have a big hay shed next to my garden. I might see if we could get some guttering up on it, and try this with a raised barrel or something.

We had a neighbor that put guttering up on the slanted roof of his covered chicken run. The rain water was directed into a length of guttering inside the run. He sealed up both ends of that and used it for a watering trough.

I'm amazed that people throw guttering away. Here, you can take it to the metal recycling and get money for it.

Thanks for posting this!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This sounds like you fill the tubs with rain water. How does that water get to your garden? Are you using drip irrigation to supply the plants with the water? Sounds like a brilliant system...can't wait to see some pics.
VERY COOL...

:thumbsup :clap :woot

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My little German neighbor down the hill has gutters on everything. He has them on the house with about 16 barrels. They lay on their sides down slope of the house. Then all of his sheds have gutters, they run into 55 gallon barrels. He waters all plants his gardens with this water.

My problem. No gutters!! :barnie

I can't wait to see the pictures.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
If I knew how to post pix on here I would show you all the set up.
If you have the images on your computer, you can go to Uploads at the top menu & load them into the site. Then click on My Uploads at the bottom of the Uploads page. The site gives you an image URL for the image. Copy & paste that into your post & voila!
:pop

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:thumbsup Thank you all I will get some pix next week. I am currently hurt with a blown knee. Not good when my work season just started. I'll get some pix and try the upload method. Thank you all and free water is always good. :)

I irrigated my garden my child power. :)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What kind of roofing do you have?

I'm thinking about doing something like that with our chicken coop, which is next to the garden, but am concerned about what would leach into the rainwater from our asphalt/fiberglass shingles. Since the rain water only touches the shingles for a couple of seconds, maybe it's not even an issue. I just haven't had time to research it much yet.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
What kind of roofing do you have?

I'm thinking about doing something like that with our chicken coop, which is next to the garden, but am concerned about what would leach into the rainwater from our asphalt/fiberglass shingles. Since the rain water only touches the shingles for a couple of seconds, maybe it's not even an issue. I just haven't had time to research it much yet.
I'm not concerned about it. With a newer roof I probably would want to do some homework but the roof is over 8 yrs old. So I'm not to worried. I think I would worry about the radiation coming out of my computer first before I worried about what the asphalt shingles may do to my garden.

A good question thought. Thank you :thumbsup +1

Latest posts