MY ROO..gape worms??? need answer quick

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think my baby may have gape worms.....I have two questions...
1 can you see them when you look down their throat?
2 will DE get rid of them?

Yes I posted this on BYC, but it seems like all the old timers are real busy. He has been shaking his head for two months. Last nite when I held him, I noticed he was breathing with his mouth slightly open. I want to look tonite when I go home, that is why I need an answer fast!! Thanks ya'll

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
roosmom, unfortunately I don't know much about gape worms but I just "bumped" your question up on BYC! (And I guess I just did that here too!) Good luck!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the most common parasitic roundworms of poultry (Ascaridia galli) occurs in chickens and turkeys. Adult worms are about one and a half to three inches long and about the size of an ordinary pencil lead. Thus, they can be seen easily with the naked eye. Heavily infected birds may show droopiness, emaciation and diarrhea. The primary damage is reduced efficiency of feed utilization, but death has been observed in severe infections.
Chickens of three to four months of age show resistance to infection. Specimens of this parasite are found occasionally in eggs. The worm apparently wanders from the intestine up the oviduct and is included in the egg contents as the egg in being formed.

The life history of this parasite is simple and direct. Females lay thick heavy-shelled eggs in the intestine that pass in the feces. A small embryo develops in the egg but does not hatch immediately. The larvae in the egg reaches infective stage within two to three weeks. Embryonated eggs are very hardy and under laboratory conditions may live for two years. Under ordinary conditions, however, few probably live more than one year. Disinfectants and other cleaning agents do not kill eggs under farm conditions. Birds become infected by eating eggs that have reached the infective stage.

Available drugs remove only the adult parasite. The immature form probably produces the most severe damage. The treatment of choice is piperazine. Many forms of piperazine are produced, and all are effective if administered properly. Piperazine is only effective for treating this parasite. It has no effect on other internal parasites of fowl. Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.

The parasite can be controlled by strict sanitation. If the birds are confined, clean the house thoroughly and completely before a new group is brought in. Segregate birds by age groups, with particular care applied to sanitation of young birds. If birds are on range, use a clean range for each group of birds.

hope this helps you???

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This def. gives me lots more info on it, thank you FC. It does say I can see it so I am going to look. He has not been acting funny at all except for those two things. His poo is normal and he eats FINE. I am going to look, at the very least it will set my mind at ease.
Thank you annmarie, I will look over there and see if anyone has had experience with this.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
could it be impacted crop cause many birds just shake their heads when things are lodged??

any other symptoms other than shaking his head!?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
He has been doing this off and on for about two months....I let it go because there were no other symptoms. BUT, last nite I was holding him and noticed that he was occasionally breathing with his beak open. I was just on BYC chat room and they said it may be aspergillis or that the leaves are causing it. I dont know.....should I let it go and see if anything else happen?..I will give them wood chips in the coop this weekend.
I did look and I dont see anything in his throat. ggrrrr I just dont know

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, he is not old, just 7 months. I am counting on the feed store FINALLY getting DE. They have been in the process for two months now, grr.