My Survival Philosophy

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My Survival Philosophy

Im new to this site but I have been a member of similar sites over the years. Im no great authority on making preparations nor do I tell people that I am. But I do read a lot about what others think and what they have done to be prepared and I thought that Id share these with the forum.

My Survival Philosophy is as follow. I must note that I havent following the list in this exact order over the years but there have been reasons that one was put before the other. Im not saying that this list is suitable for anyone else. Im just hoping that it will make others think.

Shelter - Choosing where one lives isnt always the easiest choice to make. There are a lot of factors that enter into the decision. Examples would be family, job and climate.

Personally I know that I dont like the cold and snow. I also know that I want somewhere that is far enough from a major city that I wouldnt have to worry about mobs. I want somewhere that cant be seen from a road. It needs to have its own source of water and would have enough land to farm.

Food & Water - There seems to be a lot of emphasis on storing food and water and rightly so. I read discussions on every survival type site that talks about what to store and how much to store.

Read some of the sites put together by the LDS Church. They have a lot of good information and have been teaching food storage for a long time.

Please note while I mention certain products in the following do the research for yourself and make your own decision. Also check e-bay for better prices.

I have no vested interest in the following site but if you are looking for LTS food I would ask that you look at the JRH Enterprise site http://www.jrhenterprises.com/main.sc;jsessionid=ADFE945DFB3FD6455E8DD5EBF9FE178E.qscstrfrnt01 I have purchased from them in the past and their service is very good. They sell a basic package of food for a single person that will last for a year for less that $650.
Dont overlook stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General You can buy som canned goods there that will get you up and running for very little mone.

If there is one of the stores that sells dented cans shop there. You can empty the cans and dehydrate the content which will extend the shelf life and take up less space.

Store what you normally eat. If you dont like a certain food you probably arent going to like it any more when things go south.

Learn how to store food. There is an art to packing buckets. Heres a good site to learn how to do it if youve never done it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pal88fR5COI

We must store water. It can be in a large container or in recycled soft drink and bottles. But without water we will die. Some folks buy bottles of water, but I normally use the recycled bottles simply because its easier for me to do it that way.

But something that each of us have to also prepare for is the time that our water supply runs out and for that reason I would urge everyone to have a water filtration system of some sort. Some people recommend the Big Berkey http://www.bigberkey.com/ I chose to use another filter, unfortunately I dont have the name or link with me.

If you are storing grains make sure that you have a grain grinder so that you can make flour. The Country Living Grain Mill is among the best. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/country_living_mill.aspx Learn to dehydrate food. As I mentioned before it will allow you to both extend the shelf life of food and also take up less storage space. There are several good units on the market, so again do your research before buying. There are even plans on the Internet that shows you how to build a dehydrator to use in the back yard. Heres a good site that talks about dehydrating http://www.drystore.com/page/page/1346972.htm

Protection Its a subject that some people dont want to deal with. But if you have stored food to provide for you family then you must think about protecting them. I know that most people who feel that they dont want to have a gun in their home will say the police will protect me. But what do you do when there are no police.

I have never shot anyone and I hope that I never have to but to tell you the truth if someone were to break into my home and threaten me I think that they have made the choice for me.

Sustainability You have the shelter, the food & water, the protection but.. what are you going to do when your food and water runs out? Hunt & fish? You are going to have a lot of competition for the game. You also have to remember that you have to figure out how to get to where you are going to hunt and fish and more importantly get back safely.

Store some seeds to grow a garden. Raise some rabbits, poultry and fish. What Im looking into is building a greenhouse and setting up a hydroponic system for the veggies and fish. Turn key units can be expensive, but there are DIY systems that can be sit up rather cheaply.

Sustainability also includes medical supplies, communications and lighting. There are so many sites on the Internet that cover these subjects just do the research.

The time is short! the need is great! I urge you to prepare.

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You forgot a few things.

Know the local plants. They could be your food, medical, pharmacy, etc.

There are edible plants growing wild in every state, learn what they are.
Learn which plants and herbs that grow locally are medicinal.

Did you know that where nature plants poisonous plants she also plants it remedy?
Did you know that nature gives you medicinal plants at the time of illnesses. Others you must dry or preserve for future use. Like elderberry or yellow dock.

I think its going to be a little hard to keep fish when we barely have water to drink. Purify water = boil it.
The rabbits, would be nice but its already too hot in Southern Texas in the summer for them to survive without assistance.

I'll keep my high heat tolerant chickens and ducks and maybe I'll have time to breed a more heat tolerant quail. Maybe not. I grow beans.

Don't just store your seeds. Grow that garden and save your seeds or you won't have land thats ready to grow anything in. It takes years to get land in shape to raise a decent garden that will provide you with enough food to feed you for a year or more. Now mind you this has to be chemical free. No place to buy that old stuff and no money to buy it with unless you barter for supplies.

Most people would not recognize that I normally stock food for at least 1 year for a family of 4 in my kitchen and scattered pantry. Its not prepackaged, and its not cooked, its not long term storage, and some of it is even running around the back yard. For two people that is a 2 year storage plan.

My one concern is grains. Wifezilla you may have to teach me to do without grains.
Everyones opinion differs on what is needed.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
philpatton said:
My Survival Philosophy
I have never shot anyone and I hope that I never have to but to tell you the truth if someone were to break into my home and threaten me I think that they have made the choice for me.
Lets just say I wouldn't have a problem with that. Thats all I'll say!

:hide

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great summary of information!!

Good points made and suggestions!!

I was always one of those people who never wanted guns in my home. I was always so afraid of the danger. But a while back someone posted a YouTube video. The car salesman who was giving away free guns with each purchase. He made some very good points. He said he had a great PD in his town. But his farm was 20 min away. If he had a home invasion in progress he wanted to be able to protect his family for those 20 mins.

Made me think. My town does not have PD. We have a Sheriff, and that's all.

ps, the hyper links did not work for me.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I wanted to add . . . if you do have some cans that are badly dented (suspicious in terms of possible botulism contamination) you can boil the contents for 15 minutes before eating and that denatures the botulism toxin. Just in case anyone ever finds themselves in that sort of situation. Of course you ideally wouldn't want to have to do that in an emergency, because it is a waste of fuel, but that info may come in handy some day. :)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
DM, help me with this, as I have wondered about it for a long time.

In canning, we can't BWB nonacidic foods because botulism isn't killed at boiling. At least that is what I was taught. We have to PC so that the internal temperature will get to 234 or something like that.

So what I don't get is why 15 minutes of 212 works after the jar is open? Do you know?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
After the jar is open, if there is botulism present, the toxin (which is what kills ya) can be dealt with by boiling it until it breaks apart . . . it is just a protein (if memory serves) and cooking it will denature it.

But if you do not plan to boil the canned food after opening the can, then you need to can properly.

In the old days they used to hot water bath can meat. I suspect they cooked it again before they ate it, so it was rarely a problem.

Did that make sense?

ETA: (for clarification) You can either kill the botulism organism when you initially can, or you can break down the botulism toxin (produced by the botulism organism over time in an air-tight, low-acid environment) once the jar is opened by cooking the food thoroughly.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DM- exactly right. The botulism organism will still be present. If it was to sit again, toxin would once again build up. But it is the toxin that is a danger, not the microorg.