My ticket to Polyface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend of mine who was a former Polyface Farm apprentices has had a difficult time in Oklahoma due to last year's heat and drought and a fire the burned 2/3 of his ranch. Well, an opportunity came up he couldn't resist. One of Joel Salatin's rental farms has become available and Joel invited him and his wife to take it over. He couldn't pass it up, so he is moving back first part of February.

This last weekend I was at their place visiting and buying some of his poultry equipment, including 3 broiler pens and his eggmobile, when he told me about another of his opportunities. Seems Joel has asked to become his one on one tour guide for Polyface. Joel and Daniel used to conduct these, but have become just too busy. Because my friend is so knowledgable and such an excellent speaker and very enthusiastic, Salatin asked him to take over the tours.

Now, this isn't your typical day jaunt with a bunch of folks. This is a one on one, hands on, behind the scene tour of Polyface that normally costs $500 to $1,000 a pop. My friend invited my wife and I to come out for a visit this spring, and he will give me one of these tours FREE of charge!

So, I'm jazzed! I have been a huge Salatin fan for a long time, and have enormous respect for what he has done for the sustainable ag movement. This is my chance to learn about his system up close and personal. I know I'm not likely to learn a lot in a single day, but I'm hoping to get some ideas and inspiration. Then maybe spend a week or so with my friend helping him at his new place, doing things the Salatin way. Then come home and apply what we have learned.

Oh, and here is the eggmobile I bought. It housed 400 hens last summer. It has an automatic water system that supplies water inside and out fed by two 50 gallon drums, feeders, feed storage for up 600 pounds of feed, and 60 nest boxes. The floor is slated and covered in chicken wire so the manure falls through to the pasture below. You park it, open the doors to let them out in the morning and close it up at night, move it as needed for new pasture. I pick it up this coming weekend.

900x600px-LL-2ae64ea0_11.jpeg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Buster that's pretty awesome! I LOVE the Eggmobile! Have a great tour!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
$500 to $1000 per tour of a farm!!!???? OK, I think that Salatin has a number of good ideas, and is helping to make those ideas known to others, but ... really? That is, IMO, ridiculous. And, also IMO, anyone paying that price is crazy. I haven't read all of his stuff, but I don't think that it is so very revolutionary that it can't be found in other places. I do begin to wonder if the man is a prophet for sustainable agriculture, or if he is a greedy b*****d, taking advantage of the uninformed.
Sorry if I tread on anybody's toes by saying that.

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
joel is an ammusing writer at best. $500-$1000, that's a pole dance that i expect a "happy ending" for. c'mon who are we kidding here at least someone like eliot coleman offers over priced tools that serve a purpose. joel's "beyond organic" is akin to scienology, ie the more you pay the more you are privy to the inner workings of the "religion". this info is available free over the "inna webs", ease away from the cool aide, that scent of almonds is realy not a good sign.

cheers,
oops not cheers don't drinkup

doc

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cool Buster :thumbsup
glad your friend is doing well!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I like the egg mobile. I met someone who uses an old trailer for the same purpose.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey, call me greedy. If I could get someone to pay me $500 to $1,000 a crack to tour my farm, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :D

There must be something there if people are willing to pay it.

To the rest, thanks much. I'll enjoy the FREE kool-aide while I can. Will post pics and a full report. Pics of the inside of the eggmobile to come soon.

[Never ceases to amaze me the sorts of things people choose to go off on in a forum.]

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just because you CAN get that much money for something, doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Just because a doctor can get X amount for a surgery doesn't mean that the general public can benefit from it....only those with very good insurance.

That "get all the money you can while you can because silly people will pay it" is not what I would call ethical...particularly if the point of your tour is to educate. With such a system, only the wealthy can receive the education....and that turns back the clock a hundred years. He is smart enough to realize that people don't value free and only place value on what they have paid dearly for~the you get what you pay for theory. But...anyone with the smarts to know the Emperor is actually naked won't pay that money~any information he had to impart is all included in his books for a very cheap price on Amazon or for free from the library.

Oh, I admit he has perfected the ability to skin a tourist/greenhorn and maybe deserves some kudos for his enterprising marketing scheme....which, sadly, diminishes his other contributions to agriculture when you see it first hand. I was both disgusted and disappointed when I saw what I had only imagined from reading his books and studying his practices for several years.

I went on the $15 tour and it was worth every penny.....because I found out many eye opening things and lost some naivete about Mr. Salatin.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buster said:
Hey, call me greedy. If I could get someone to pay me $500 to $1,000 a crack to tour my farm, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :D

There must be something there if people are willing to pay it.

To the rest, thanks much. I'll enjoy the FREE kool-aide while I can. Will post pics and a full report. Pics of the inside of the eggmobile to come soon.

[Never ceases to amaze me the sorts of things people choose to go off on in a forum.]
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that fleecing the gullible is a long established American tradition.

A fool and his money are soon parted

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, Bee, I'm not sure I would compare a tour of Polyface with life saving medical procedures, but then I've never taken the tour. You are one up on me in that area, so what do I know? :D

Seriously, though, I'm sure part of it has to do with how busy he is, and how valuable the fleeced I mean customers feel the experience is to them. When I was a performer, I charged according to what I believed people would be willing to pay, and partly on making it worth my time and effort. Last I checked, this was a capitalist system, and this man is in business. I would submit that it is a very positive and helpful business at that, and he certainly has a right to make a good living at it.

On your $15 tour, I have often regretted my reaction to your thread on that. You had the tour, and it was your experience, not mine. Naive or not, I recall how enthusiastic you were going in, and how disappointed you were afterward. It was wrong of me to get so defensive for a man I had never met, or an experience I had never had. Please accept my apologies for that.

Now, I have a chance to have my own experience. Who knows, maybe I'll come away disillusioned as well. Whether I do or not remains to be seen. Either way, I will report my honest reaction here, to you and the rest of the board.

That and lots and lots of pics. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.