My Vegetable Garden Sucks!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Perhaps we need to post some vegetable FAILURE pictures here as well as the commentary.

The newbies out there need to see that every garden is not always perfect. :lol:

Goodness know mine reeks this year in lots of ways! ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mine were not budging at all. Sat the same size from early April to just about two weeks ago. I side dressed them with some cow/ horse mix and they shot up. Granted it got warmer as well. I'm not really sure. Out of 9 plants I still have two that are the original size. I have no idea why.

g

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
Why won't my pepper plants grow? Any suggestions?
My peppers didn't grow either. They are in a big pot on the patio. Full sun, nice black potting soil. Fertilized and babied. I don't think they have grown at all in height since I bought the little things from a greenhouse!

My potatoes look amazing and onions are doing well too. Peas and beans.... not so much.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last year I gave my pepper plants a foliar spray of epsom salt water and had the best pepper crop ever. I can't remember the amounts, but I'll see if I can find it soon.
Peppers can be finicky about everything.

My spring crops have been awful enough to make me forget about them. Never again - it's a waste of my time. Our weather just doesn't cooperate. Most summer gardens here got put in late due to the crazy wet spring - storms about every other day for a month. It was too wet to direct seed anything and the weeds took over because I couldn't get out enough to pull them.

We finally bought a tiller and plowed all the spring stuff and weeds under and started over.

edit:
Found it - 1 tablespoon epsom salts dissolved in a gallon of water. I need to do this today.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Our garden started great, well at least the deers thought so. Our garden gate was left open and we awoke to 11 deer feasting on the young plants. Out of about 170 plants, one tomato plant and 7 corns survived the onslaught. Our re-planting was only two weeks ago, and we planted in the raised beds only, and not the rest of the garden. We are in the middle of a (so far) mini drought, and temps had been running around 100.

Kinda makes you think how things would be if we were absolutely dependent on our gardens for feeding our families, doesn't it. We're looking forward to a fall garden now.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We always stuck our pepper plants in the poorest soil, they always did better yield wise than the ones in rich soil where all the goodies seemed to go to plant growth and little to fruit. If the plants grew too much we would starve them for water just before
blossom stage, makes since if you think that the fruit is the way for plants to survive.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Last year I gave my pepper plants a foliar spray of epsom salt water and had the best pepper crop ever. I can't remember the amounts, but I'll see if I can find it soon.
Peppers can be finicky about everything.

My spring crops have been awful enough to make me forget about them. Never again - it's a waste of my time. Our weather just doesn't cooperate. Most summer gardens here got put in late due to the crazy wet spring - storms about every other day for a month. It was too wet to direct seed anything and the weeds took over because I couldn't get out enough to pull them.

We finally bought a tiller and plowed all the spring stuff and weeds under and started over.

edit:
Found it - 1 tablespoon epsom salts dissolved in a gallon of water. I need to do this today.
I have epsom salt! I'm gonna try this today! Thank you!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Perhaps we need to post some vegetable FAILURE pictures here as well as the commentary.

The newbies out there need to see that every garden is not always perfect. :lol:

Goodness know mine reeks this year in lots of ways! ;)
I'll post some pics later today or the peppers and squash.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I'll try to take some pics of my weed encrusted pitiful corn crop.

Even people who are good gardeners have things get ahead of them and have poor crop years. If I had weeded and spent some time with my corn things would have turned out better. Instead we left on vacation, I had the flu and just generally neglected it. I am going to reap the rewards of that.