My Yogurt Cultures Are in the Air

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I poured some milk in a small pan with the intentions of warming it for the cat. It got pretty hectic here and I completely forgot about it, went to bed. When I awoke this morning I spotted the milk and as I went to place it on the stove I noticed the milk didn't move. I smelled it, thinking that it soured and curdled but it was yogurt! Tasted like yogurt!
I did not place any cultures in the milk, never used this pan for making yogurt.
I do make yogurt regularly. My room air must contain it.
Evidently I only need to breath to get yogurt cultures, lol. Similar to the "memory of water" theory, lol.
I have noticed that I need less to culture yogurt, less time, too.
Has anyone else had this happen?

I should mention that my sauerkraut is made in another part of the house. Could I just show the cabbage the sauerkraut and voila!, more fermented sauerkraut! :lol:

This got me wondering about kefir and other fermented foods, as long as they aren't cross contaminated.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You've got goooood beasties!
I think I'm having to build the colonies of good beasties at my place. All my first ferments went bad. They are getting better & quicker as time goes on.

I have to wonder if the good boys will crowd each other out, like you said, cross contamination. I do all my ferments in one cool, dark corner of my kitchen cabinet, just so they won't be in the way.

Do you keep all your ferments separate?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I know that this works for yeast, when baking bread, that's why San Francisco sourdough is so unique.
I can imagine that it would work for other fermentations also.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Yes, I do keep them separate, just for convenience sake. My fermented vegetables are in an almost unheated room and are there from square one. I heat with wood in the kitchen area which can get a bit toasty and causes too rapid of fermentation for my tastes.
The yogurt likes the warmth.

FD- That's good to know that all the effort is perpetually rewarded.
Wonder if that would work with zones in the house? Like a preponderance of each so that cross contamination wouldn't get a foothold.