Mylar bags

TeriS

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Greeting! I'm learning a lot about food prepping and gardening. I was searching the internet and ran across you web site. So excited to find you! Can I could put cold rice Mylar Bag. Just got them and new at this. Thanks

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I put rice in mylar bags. I first put the rice in the freezer for 3 days to kill any bugs that may be in it, then put about a cup per quart bag in with a couple 100cc oxygen absorbers. I get my bags off Amazon.
this :thumbsup

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome @TeriS to the forum. Getting prepped for hard times is a very wise move. It is a good feeling to know that you have food put back for that just in case situation. Many of us do so and will be glad to share what we do with you.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have rice, beans and wheat stored in mylar bags. I advice on using the oxygen absorbers with the bags. Make sure it is the regular dried rice, not cooked rice.
I take that back, you can store cooked rice but you have to dehydrate it first. It becomes Instant Rice that way.
It must be totally dry!

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We get about 30lbs per five gallon bucket. We place the Mylar in the bucket almost like you would a trash bag and then we toss a few bay leaves in add the rice toss in a couple more bay leaves then seal the top 3/4 of the way, toss in a 2,000CC o2 absorber press out as much air as possible then finish the seal. Put the lid on and label with the date. We do the same to dried beans, corn, and wheat.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't need 5 gal size storage for dry goods! Some have used dry in mason jars. That's my size. I have the vac sealer for WM jars for my Food saver units. Seems enough for a few pounds of rice, pasta, etc , for one and not looking for more than a couple years. I use Bay leaves in containers with my flours. Qt or gal mylar good size.

Storage for 10-20 Years isn't in my plans. Just not that kind of prepper here.

How do you seal the mylar bags? Vac & heat seal?

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
To seal the Mylar bags, we drop in O2 absorbers and then squeeze out as much air as we can, put a board on top of the bag and fold the top over and use a hot iron to seal it. Within 24 hours, the bags look like they were vacuum sealed because of the O2 absorbers.

Latest posts