Mystery Crop Damage in Memphis TN Area

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
This is weird, and it's unsettling as it is just about 100 miles to the east of us. It's seems as though something has been sprayed from the air, and is killing plants birds, and who knows what else. Anyone live in the west TN area and experiencing any of this?

Mystery Crop Damage

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This is scaring the bejeebers out of me today. What the heck have they done now? That garbage could waft right up the coast to us here in New England - by air and by sea. I can't believe these idiots are flailing around the way they are down there. How utterly frustrating...
thun.gif

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
...Just read the comments and it seems there was a sulfer trioxide leak at a chemical plant. Probably related?...
That would do it, I suspect.

Sulfur trioxide is injected into combustion flue gas, where it adheres to ash particles before they go through a precipitator. It makes it easier to remove the ash particles before the flue gas leaves the stack, making for cleaner flue gas. We used the process where I worked, and it is used across the country. Yeah, I know. As my daughter would say, "TMI". :rolleyes:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Scarry!1

The problem is we have enough sense to put two and two together but do you think anyone will bring this to the public's attention?

The plant should be held liable for the lost crops. And heavily fined!!

g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They "whoever they are" will find the answer

let us know what it is when the news tells you

can't be blaming anyone yet until the cause is known

plague? woof, what a word to be using the thought of "plague" sure fits our times we gonna be plagued and plagued I am sure

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
our other farm is on the Henry and Weakly Co line, NE of where this report is. i've emailed it to our farm manager. it's terrible that those around Memphis are suffering, but hopefully it won't continue to spread. that's all TN needs, a large agricultural emergency.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Scarry!1

The problem is we have enough sense to put two and two together but do you think anyone will bring this to the public's attention?

The plant should be held liable for the lost crops. And heavily fined!!

g
It does seem to be related but a link has to be proved.

jimmieanna

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I posted an article about this on my facebook page today, and one of my friends who lives in s/w arkansas answered back saying she has seen some of this in her area. I don't want to be an alarmist, or overly dramatic, but I feel that if this is spreading and other communities see it is just an "isolated" thing, no one is going to connect the dots.

That said, I still have no idea what is causing this, but it frankly is very concerning. I just hope that if it is spreading others will find out and it can be traced to source. Look at it like this; something is causing it.

Thanks!

jimmieanna

Latest posts