N.Y. lawmakers hatch plan to require salmonella vaccinations

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here's a link to the story.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand it may be a good idea. I did have my chicks vaccinated for Marek's when I purchased them.

On the other hand, we can't vaccinate for everything. Although I really don't know much about the subject, it seems like better (more natural) practices would be the solution to salmonella. I'd like to hear from some of you that know about this.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
"Largely uninspected for decades" got my attention! Yikes!
WTH has the Food and Drug Administration been doing all these years?? Look at how many of our dollars have been wasted on this dept, and we STILL have problems with food contamination......

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why is a vaccine always the solution? Why not better practices of care for their chickens. All they are doing is continuing to allow the factory farms to operate as usual. It costs them far less to give a vaccine than it does better care of the chickens. At least the article mentioned that it won't require it of every farm.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I agree with both the above posts.

As my husband and I incessantly discuss, better practices cost more, which leads to higher food costs. People are not used to paying more for food. They are used to paying for clothing, vacations, nice vehicles and homes, but not food.

Of course, there are many who live close to the bone already, and they would be hurt the most by higher food prices.

I would rather see these people's food bills subsidized than grain crops subsidized. It leads to (I believe) a whole system of cheap, factory farming.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Having a healthy, HAPPY hen (because stress is an immune compromiser) that doesn't lay 2 eggs in 24 hour period. Also, yall probably know this, eggs contain a protectant on them, but if you wash an egg it washes it off? I have a special bowl for eggs straight out of the nest, dirt and straw and everything! They aren't washed until right before use.

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The USDA is not that well funded. They have quite a shortage of inspectors. Maybe that will change now. Of course the vaccinations are probably a lot cheaper. As was mentioned we are used to cheap food. The gov makes huge subsidies to provide us with edible food at a reasonable price.

I think I'll stick to my chickens. All the stuff they do to make food cheap doesn't seem very healthy.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"Cook eggs until both the whites and the yolk are no longer runny."

This statement alone would be enough to get me into the backyard chicken camp, if I weren't there already :lol:. IMO the only tasty way to cook egg yolk is to have it runny. (But then, I don't agree with cooking beef to well done either; rare, or none for me, thanks)

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Having a healthy, HAPPY hen (because stress is an immune compromiser) that doesn't lay 2 eggs in 24 hour period. Also, yall probably know this, eggs contain a protectant on them, but if you wash an egg it washes it off? I have a special bowl for eggs straight out of the nest, dirt and straw and everything! They aren't washed until right before use.
AMEN! I do kinda the same--if they don't get washed, they have a bowl on the counter with 1/4 hardware cloth on the bottom. If they're really dirty, I wash them, and store in a plastic egg carton, and keep them in the fridge.