Nacho - The road to sufficiency!

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well... the garden didn't do well last year. It was just toooooo hot! :barnie

We've already got EVERYTHING written down for our 2012 garden. This year we're attempting broccoli, onions, chives, eggplant, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce/mesculan, beans, vorn, cikes, watermelon, pumpkins, celery (in a container), cauliflower, peppers, and basil, parsley, and cilantro in a container. We also want to put in a couples containers of some "beneficial bug flower" mix!

I have everything written down in my little "garden journal." Husband is hopefully going to get off his duff and build me a chicken coop this winter! :fl

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
bahaha!! CORN! My fingers were going faster than my eyes! :p

I can't remember why we decided to try the celery in pots... gimme a minute... it'll come back to me.. :lol:

AH!!! YES!
Because it needs shade... there's no shade to be found in our garden. :-/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'd like to try celery to can it for recipes and stuff may need to put it on the list........

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you freeze celery? We mostly use it for soups and such. I personally don't like eating it raw, but every once in a while the kids and the hubs will eat some.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Can you freeze celery? We mostly use it for soups and such. I personally don't like eating it raw, but every once in a while the kids and the hubs will eat some.
I froze some last week thinking I would add it to todays turkey soup. Ewww!!! It was like mush in the baggie! Went straight out and I won't try that again. I don't suppose a vacuum sealer would make a difference. I have dehydrated celery and that works fine.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH!! Good idea!! We do have a dehydrator so maybe I will do some of that! :bun

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow.... it's been a while since I updated this! This past season was pretty much a bust with the oppressive heat and giant mosquitoes, couple that with a broken mower and grass so high deer can successfully hide in it (boy that was embarrassing!) it just didn't pan out.

We managed to add 10 hens and a rooster and 6 ducks as well as bring our total number of beds to 8 with a section for corn. In the spring we anatomy to add a spot for herbs. I'll try and get pictures soon!