Name that Tool

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm so confused because you said it was a woodworking tool and and...I stayed out in the heat/sun too long today.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is it for stump blasting?

Winner Winner chicken dinner.

It's called a Black Powder Wedge and indeed used to blast out stumps. If you have a nasty old stump you want to pull up. You find a good place in the stump like a crack and drive the Black Powder Wedge into the crack with a sledgehammer. Then you place a good length of fuse into the hole on the side of the Black Powder Wedge and fill the wedge with black powder. You light the fuse and run for cover. When the black powder explodes it drives the wedge further into the crack with a tremendous amount of force and.splits the stump so you can move it with a tractor or something.

I searched a long time and finally found one at a old antique shop buried in a trailer out back of the shop. They don't make Black Powder Wedges anymore... I guess they are dangerous but man are the a hoot to use - you know use guys like danger and the louder the boom the better.

So if you got a nasty ole sweet gum stump you want to rid yourself of - I got the tool to do it :)

Latest posts