Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HINT
shhhh.gif

DSC00008 copy.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Does it have anything to do with flooring installation? I just can't figure the electrical outlet purpose...I'll have to think on this one a bit more.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It applies the glue to the subfloor for installation of floor covering. Has to be warm to keep the glue from clogging it. That's my final answer lol

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It applies the glue to the subfloor for installation of floor covering. Has to be warm to keep the glue from clogging it. That's my final answer lol
sSig_nonosign.gif

Ok a carpet seam thingy for joining the seams of carpet.

thumb blue.gif
Close enough.. I say so, so I can post another subject.
The keywords you said made me give in.
  • carpet seam
  • joining seams
For the life of me, I can't find a digital photo (easy to find) of it in service so bare with me. The photos must be on 35mm print and boxed up. I'll add it later if I stumble upon one or 2.
ANY-HOOT....
Hot glue tape holds carpet together. Little by little the tape is heated by an iron. A very HOT iron. As the iron is advanced fwd, the carpet backing is pressed into the melted glue and a bonding transfer is established. By pressing weight down, firmly and evenly, it helps the glue cool off nice and flat and even. Just like when you iron a pair of slacks or shirt to remove wrinkles.
Traditionally speaking, all flooring mechanics use either there toolbox or the top tray of a tool box to weight down a hot seam.
Like in this photo....
h 005.jpg

My husband was an independent journeyman for 23 yrs. Work vans get dirty. Tool boxes get dirty. You sometimes get the carpet dirty by dragging dirty tools on light colored carpeting.
Now picture this.. That masher he made (in my original post) holds the bottom of the nasty and hot bottom tray of the iron that collects puddles of hot glue and ruins carpet fibers.
As you are heating the seam down the line with your iron, the masher holds the super hot tray and a hot glue gun for the seam ends. When you get to the end of a 27' seam, your tray is right in front of you.
See all that glue all over the masher tool? That is sloppy glue that could have got onto the carpet fiber.
DSC00008 copy.jpg

When the seams are done, flip off the switch and the power is shut of the the iron and gun without unplugging.
Also another added benefit.. yrs ago while on an install, another person walked thru and tripped over his extension cord to his iron. It wrapped their foot and they pulled the hot iron out of the seam and dragged it across the carpet. Burnt the bejeebus of hubby's leg. DH was ready to bury the fool who tripped that wasn't supposed to be in there anyway (that's another story), but with the heavy masher plugged in to the cord, when somebody trips over the cord, it is so heavy that the cord just unplugs from super heavy weight.
He made about 50 bucks a pop on them on consignment. But lots of guys made their own after seeing his.
This was back in 1990-91'? Close enough. He still has it in the garage with his tools. Used it again last summer at a relative's home doing some bedrooms.

CHECK OUT THIS GUY! My hubby would freak out if this guy worked for him. Dragging a rusty tool box on virgin carpet fiber and putting his ragging hot seaming iron tray on the carpet as well. I can hear him yelling right now!:lol:

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I've torn lots of capeting out of places, but never put any in... :)

Edited to add: ironically, my 18 yo, who has never seen a carpet put in, guessed that maybe it was some kind of industrial ironing board. He had no idea how it would be used, but he wasn't that far off!

Last edited:

Latest posts