Name This Tree Fruit!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm very excited to have some of these, now I just need to pick a spot to grow them.

Anyone else know what these are
question.gif
Do you have some?

IMG_20171205_085542894.jpg

IMG_20171205_085602023.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They're actually a member of the mulberry family.

I saw my first one when I was in college. I don't remember now if it was my ecology class or my dendrology class. But, the fruits fascinate me. They make me think of a green brain. I'll often call it a green brain tree.

One day, I brought home one of the fruits and had it in the house. It started to rot, and I didn't have time to do anything w/it, so I chucked it out the front door. My DD stepped on it, and comes in the house and tells me, Mom, I just stepped on your brain!

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Osage orange, horse apples, hedge apples, bois d'arc, and bodark are some of its names.

The wood is absolutely beautiful to make things out of it. My husband made me a cane with the wood.

When I lived in Indiana, we had a dozen of these trees in our front yard. I loved the trees because of their unique shapes. They were tall, twisted, and great shade trees.

Beware of the thorns. They are positively wicked. If you stepped on one, it HURT. I know...did it several times a year. :)

Every year, I would put the fruit into a BIG pile in the woods. Squirrels and deer will eat the fruit. I don't know of any 'good' use for the fruit.

There are those who swear that if you put the fruit in your basement, it will keep spiders away.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd cut then down and then decide I wanted to make my own bow or something. Never know, I might need them

If you want more horse apples let me know. I got a truck load