names = occupations

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tallman posted a link in the Natural Remedies section, ACV thread, about herbal vinegars by a woman named Susun Weed. I've read some of her stuff before, and am always struck by the fact that a woman named Weed got into herbalism. I've noticed others like this as well - A woman named Carolyn Dille writes about cooking with herbs; a bookmaker's office I saw once in London was run by a chap named "Stallion"; DH remembers seeing a sign for a doctor in Germany named "Knochenbrecher" (Bonebreaker) - he wasn't an orthopedist, but still ... :D. I used to "collect" such names/occupations, but have forgotten a lot of them now. Does anybody have any other examples? Or am I the only weird one who notices things like this?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There was an Asian dentist near my old home. His last name was Fang.

Some people think my bil's last name is funny with his occupation. He is a hot-air balloon pilot and his last name is O'Byrne (Oh-burn).

I met someone yesterday whose last name is Fillerup. Bet he'd make a great gas station attendant. :p

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Well let's see. Medically speaking, there's

Dr. Pepper in Chicago, IL
Dr. Love in Little Rock, AR
Dr. Butcher in Knoxville, TN,
Dr. Hack in Louisville, KY,
Dr. Blood in Sayre, Pa,
Dr. Paine, in Morgantown, WV
Dr. Payne in Macon, GA
Dr. Kill in St. Louis, MO
Dr. Morte in Lawrence, KS,
Dr. Mortis in Calgary, Canada (no, his first name isn't Rigor)
Dr. Peek (Obstetrician) in Baton Rouge, LA
Dr. Butts (Proctologist) in Houston, TX
Dr. Molar (DDS) Brookfield, WI

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't remember how it was spelled, but my first OB was pronounced Dr. Quack. I now see a midwife.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
My last name is Branch and my book keepers last name is Leaf. :D

With a last name like Branch, the men in our family have acquired some different nicknames. My dad was a .Jr so his most common was Junior or J.R. , and his friends used to call me Junior Jr. We are/were kinda short, so we have heard just about all of them. Short-pants, stumpy, stubby, stump, twig, etc. My hobbie/profession centers around Chrysler Corp. vehicles, so I have also been called: 440, Mr. Mopar, Low&Wide, and quite a few others that cannot be mentioned on a family website. :gig

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we lived in Croatia, DH's dentist was Dr. Zubovic. The Croatian word for tooth is "zub".

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

How could I have forgotten? My vet some years ago was Dr. Friend. My present vet is Dr. Cutting (but I like her anyway :lol:)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I forgot about my carpenter buddy, David House. :gig