Natural Egg Hatching

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mamma #1 stopped picking at the chicks, she does ignore them all day and did roost last night with them, but she didnt go in for the night until the rooster did and her 2 chicks were squawking up a storm from 7:00 to 8,, I was ready to go to bed so I made the flock go in.
Mamma #2 is tending to all of the chicks all day and they all do as she tells them, but the 2 older ones, she didnt let nest with them last night, they had to wait for Mamma #1.
Mamma #3 is under the nesting box in the first slot, I have the food and water blocked off so only she and her chicks can get it.

I walk down, with my big 2 wheel wheelbarrow and DH with the second one, to my neighbors sawmill and get more wood chips for my run. The entry way is covered now. This will help cut the dust down, flies, and be easier on their feet
image_67211521.JPG

I still need more wood chips to fill in the thin spots out in the run, but not today.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read some may take 23 days???
I often have that in the incubator. The first broody hatch (with eggs added at different later dates) had a hen try to help the last few days and the helper mom hatched one more (that the first hen might have if left alone). Also they had different laid dates therefore can vary the hatch date, especially with your pull one put it here then there. You almost gave me a headache with all your assistance that may have been like my 5 year old helping the wife with dishes. Also you may be restarting the pecking order everyday instead of letting them get it settled and let it be or leave them separated until the chicks are a month old. No offense meant, I just think you were trying to hard. Lots of unnecessary work.

Had a hen that has been laying in the garage. Yesterday/the day before? she started setting on the nest (I thought my boys had been picking up the eggs). I grabbed her and all the eggs plus a couple of the days eggs and put her in the dog pen that hasn't been used in a while. There is already hens with chicks in the coop and incubated chicks in the coop, tractor and the brooder box, so I'll let her stay and hatch in there. I put chicken wire around it when I built it, so hopefully it holds her. I know there is holes she can get out of, but she should be taking care of the chicks not trying to run away.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually the pecking order is as it was, and the hens do settle their own business, if they get is a fight rooster takes action and sets them straight.
Mamma #2 had a good dirt bath
0EA76953-CE1D-441D-B698-E68B9781EA7D.jpeg
And I was surprised when I liked out the kitchen sink window and saw mamma #3 with the 2 1 week olds out in the run,
All the other chickens left her alone and didn’t mess with the chicks,,
0EC798B0-4CDD-4523-8D42-872C305FE8C1.jpeg

Ziva loves watching the chicks
17DBDC4F-E4C6-45FD-BD88-B76694AFC7CA.jpeg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the 2, 6 week olds enjoying the outdoor roost
79A9836D-87D7-491A-A79A-2E1851CF6A45.jpeg

4F8D0437-E7F1-49C3-923E-61EF762E405E.jpeg

one of the 6 week olds likes to sleep with the adults and wanted to sleep next to mamma #1 but she said no,, so chick snuggled next to dad
839EFD70-9CA4-4972-B70B-E75B60F76BC3.jpeg 364142EF-4AF8-4D62-892B-0DC01149AC7D.jpeg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All is well in the Welsummer coop!
chick set#1 is 7 weeks old Set #2 is 6 weeks old and set #3 is 3 weeks old
Set 1 &2 have been following Mamma #2 these last 4 weeks, mamma #1 was off the job when set #1 was 3 weeks old. Mamma #1 roosted with her chicks only for one week and then went over to the adult hen side of the roost. So her chicks huddled with Mamma #2. One of those chicks did like staying on the roost at night and did, Rooster let her camp by him.
This last week & 1/2 Mamma #2 has been up on the roost with all 5 chicks,
I noticed yesterday a lot of extra peeping from set #2 chicks and last night I found out why. Mamma #2 is now off the job. She stuck it out a full 6 weeks and did a great job, the chicks had to roost last night with out her. They squoze in close to the biggest of set #1 chick, and did fine.

Mamma #3 is still nesting with her 2 chicks in the under the egg laying box, she is starting to distance herself a bit, and her 2 are quite independent, except at bed time 🤗

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jump to 23:48, this is where they get to the point

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is true -- chicken breeds are developed for our desired uses. Personally, I prefer the heavier breeds but, I rarely butcher anymore. Oh, a few young roos from a hatch but not a wholesale flock renewal. Mine free range!! Mine eat lots of bugs. They are fed all kinds of scraps from kitchen and garden, plus some bought feed....NOT like those who need to be confined to runs. My hatched chicks learn from mom. It's beautiful.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My large fowl free range. Weirdest thing they eat is the moss in any season that isn't summer.

Silkies can't. They have a courtyard for bugs and grass. And all my gooseberries and currents. Silkies cannot survive without humans and actually suck for a homestead bird. I'm trying to make that courtyard into a place where they can get more of their nutrition, though.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My large fowl free range. Weirdest thing they eat is the moss in any season that isn't summer.

Silkies can't. They have a courtyard for bugs and grass. And all my gooseberries and currents. Silkies cannot survive without humans and actually suck for a homestead bird. I'm trying to make that courtyard into a place where they can get more of their nutrition, though.

will they eat purslane?