Natural fever reducer?

Gonzo & The Peeps

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Anyone know of a natural fever reducer that can be used on children? My 8yr old runs fevers and sometimes they hit 104 tylenol won't touch it, sometime motrin won't... I wonder if theres anything else? :idunno

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Try sponging down with lukewarm (not cold!) water. Soak, and wring out a washcloth, and place on the child's forehead. Put another on the back of his neck. Use a third to wipe down his body. Re-wet, and wring out as the cloths get hot. Make sure you do this in a reasonably warm, draft free room, and dry the child thoroughly afterwards, and wrap in a blanket to keep him from getting chilled. If he will drink it, try giving some warm, not hot or cold , peppermint tea.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My daughter used to do that! It was frightening...to say the least. I finally learned this trick with her...I used to wrap her in a warm (but not hot) wet bath towel and then wrap her in a big dry blanket over the towel. It kept her warm, but also reduced the fever.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If your child is feeling up to it, a bath! not super hot, just warm - I used to put my daughter in a bubble bath - get her head wet, it would keep the fever down. watch so she doesn't get chilled.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Motrin works better for my kids.

Also warm bath....you don't want them to get chilled or the body will work harder to warm up!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In the hospital and nursing home we have used ice packs under the arms and between the legs. I've also used rubbing alcohol before...the evaporation causes the skin surface to cool.

I've heard that slippery elm could be used as a fever reducer.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Bee, I totally forgot, that is what my mother used to do. Or something similar. I remember when my little sister was really sick with a flue. The doctor told my mother to wrap cold wet towels on her arms and legs and change them frequently. We didn't have ice readily available to us. My parents kept it up all night. It did the job.

ETA the following

I just checked one of my herbal books written by German Herbalists.
They point out that fever is one our bodies most effective defense reactions.

" So please be assured that a fever of 103 or even 104 F, which is often considered quite high in the US, is entirely purposeful and need not be lowered. "
"If the child's temperature rises over 104 and remains there for more than twelve hours, a physician must be consulted."
Then they state that if you wish to lower the child's body temp, you may apply compresses.
"dip two linen or cotton cloths in cold water, wring them out, and wrap them around the patient's calves, covering as wide an area as possible between the ankle and the knee. A dry linen cloth is applied on top, followed by a wrapping of terry cloth or woolen cloth. Leave the compress on for about twenty minutes and repeat the procedure. The feet must be warm before applying the compresses. Never administer treatments involving cold water to parts of the body that are already cold!"

I only copied parts of the chapter on this subject, since I didn't want to sit here all night typing :lol:

I have found the information in this book to be very effective and reliable. Many of the things they recommend are things my mother and grandmother used to do. I also know of other Europeans who are familiar with many of their herbal remedies.

I hope it helps some.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you tried a broth from willow bark?

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
People thought I was cruel but I let my kids have a fever all day and just treated it at night so they could sleep. I learned that they bounced back faster by letting the fever take care of whatever virus it was. Just my opinion.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Bee, I totally forgot, that is what my mother used to do. Or something similar. I remember when my little sister was really sick with a flue. The doctor told my mother to wrap cold wet towels on her arms and legs and change them frequently. We didn't have ice readily available to us. My parents kept it up all night. It did the job.

ETA the following

I just checked one of my herbal books written by German Herbalists.
They point out that fever is one our bodies most effective defense reactions.

" So please be assured that a fever of 103 or even 104 F, which is often considered quite high in the US, is entirely purposeful and need not be lowered. "
"If the child's temperature rises over 104 and remains there for more than twelve hours, a physician must be consulted."
Then they state that if you wish to lower the child's body temp, you may apply compresses.
"dip two linen or cotton cloths in cold water, wring them out, and wrap them around the patient's calves, covering as wide an area as possible between the ankle and the knee. A dry linen cloth is applied on top, followed by a wrapping of terry cloth or woolen cloth. Leave the compress on for about twenty minutes and repeat the procedure. The feet must be warm before applying the compresses. Never administer treatments involving cold water to parts of the body that are already cold!"

I only copied parts of the chapter on this subject, since I didn't want to sit here all night typing :lol:

I have found the information in this book to be very effective and reliable. Many of the things they recommend are things my mother and grandmother used to do. I also know of other Europeans who are familiar with many of their herbal remedies.

I hope it helps some.
Mini hijack -- FD, is this a new book, or an older one? I have several older German herb books, but wouldn't mind getting a more up to date one. Would you mind giving me the name and author, and perhaps my SIL in Germany could look for it for me. Thanks. End hijack.