Natural means of getting rid of black ants?

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Af ter I caught up with all the threads I am interested in, I was going to pose the following question: I have ants in /on my palm tree in my living room. They seem to be inside the stalks . I have dogs in house and chickens in coop. . I have DE for my chickens . Would I be able to safely and effectively use it on/in my plant? If so how to apply it how much,how often etc?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I can't use it in the kitchen because I have a cat that thinks far to highly off the stuff and he will make himself sick on it.
rofl! My cat goes for valerian root.

When I make tea, she shoves her whole face in the mug and absorbs the steam. She won't drink it, but she gets real upset when it cools off enough she can't get her vapor high.

Luckily the only herbs she likes raw are catnip and catmint. :D

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
Af ter I caught up with all the threads I am interested in, I was going to pose the following question: I have ants in /on my palm tree in my living room. They seem to be inside the stalks . I have dogs in house and chickens in coop. . I have DE for my chickens . Would I be able to safely and effectively use it on/in my plant? If so how to apply it how much,how often etc?
I would dust the area around the plant, the dirt & the stalk. Anywhere you see them crawling on the plant. After you water the plant, reapply. Just don't apply REAL thick on the leaves, you can apply it thicker on the pot & the soil.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae, thats great! We just give our cats the raw valerian root. After a bit of research, I found out its better for them than catnip and they go nuts for about 20 minutes.. then the house is all quiet due to massive cat napping. :D